Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Tony Dahbura <to...@dahbura.com> on 2003/02/02 21:56:01 UTC

help for a realm author

Team:
When tomcat is configured to support client side certificates for
authentication-what method does it call in a realm package?

For instance for form and uid/password authentication it calls the
method
public Principal authenticate(String username, String credentials)

For a certificate based access model is there another method tomcat will
call in the realm module?  I am trying to add certificate support to my
realm module and do not see much info on this?

I would assume that Tomcat would support calling into a realm module
when client side certificates are enabled or is this handled differently
and outside of  the domain of realm modules-please elaborate if so?

I may start the document on how to build realm modules as it has been
marked as a fixme for quite some time if the group thinks this would be
helpful.

Thanks for the assist on the above,
Tony

Re: help for a realm author

Posted by Tony Dahbura <to...@dahbura.com>.
Thanks!  That was the info I was looking for.

Tony

Re: help for a realm author

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Tony Dahbura wrote:

> Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 15:56:01 -0500
> From: Tony Dahbura <to...@dahbura.com>
> To: Tomcat Developers List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: help for a realm author
>
> Team:
> When tomcat is configured to support client side certificates for
> authentication-what method does it call in a realm package?

Have a look at the authenticate() method in
org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SSLAuthenticator, and you'll see that
Tomcat calls the Realm.authenticate() method that takes a certificate
chain as an argument.  If your Realm implementation subclasses RealmBase
and you don't override it, the version of this method in
org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase will get executed.

> For instance for form and uid/password authentication it calls the
> method
> public Principal authenticate(String username, String credentials)
>
> For a certificate based access model is there another method tomcat will
> call in the realm module?  I am trying to add certificate support to my
> realm module and do not see much info on this?
>
> I would assume that Tomcat would support calling into a realm module
> when client side certificates are enabled or is this handled differently
> and outside of  the domain of realm modules-please elaborate if so?

Note that none of the above actually happens unless the user tries to
access a webapp resource that is protected by a security constraint.

> I may start the document on how to build realm modules as it has been
> marked as a fixme for quite some time if the group thinks this would be
> helpful.

That would be a very useful document.

> Thanks for the assist on the above,
> Tony

Craig

Re: help for a realm author

Posted by BaTien Duong <ba...@dbgroups.com>.
I am wondering if anybody has attempted to write and test a LdapLoginModule
(factored from JNDIRealm) to work with JAASRealm? Where can I find
configuration properties and example for JAASRealm in tomcat server.xml?

Thanks.
BaTien