Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> on 2010/04/15 05:08:17 UTC

What's next for WS@Apache? Discuss.

Hey y'all,

So as per my earlier mail to the dev lists, we need to talk about...

* Which subprojects should be promoted to TLPs?
* Which subprojects should be migrated to the Attic?
* What should the structure look like for what remains?

Here's what we've got to work with.

1. Axiom (commons)
2. Neethi (commons)
3. XmlSchema (commons)
4. Tcpmon (commons)
5. Guththila (commons)
6. JaxMe
7. jUDDI
8. Scout
9. Muse
10.Woden
11.WSIF
12.WSS4J
13.XMLRPC

Let's talk Attic first.  It seems WSIF and Muse have been pretty much
inactive for some time now, so I'd propose we get the ball rolling with
proposals to Attic both of those.  JaxMe also seems ripe for the Attic.

I think that it's pretty clear jUDDI and Scout should migrate together to a
new TLP, Apache jUDDI, with Kurt as chair.  Thoughts?

Does anyone outside of Axis2/C use Guththila?  If not, I'd suggest that
migrate to Axis.

Is there enough activity on XMLRPC to keep it alive?  Jochen?

Personally, I'd probably prefer to leave Axiom, Neethi, XmlSchema, and Tcpmon
as subprojects of WS.  I'd like to get rid of the "commons" layer, though,
since I think the "new" WS project should itself be a set of commonly useful
WS components.  I know other ideas have been discussed for the commons stuff,
so let's start that discussion and get the various opinions out on the table?

That leaves Woden and WSS4J.  Maybe Woden should stay in WS?  As for WSS4J,
I'm not sure if it should stay or become a TLP.

So... what do you guys think?

Thanks,
--Glen

P.S.  Reminder - please fill out your sections of our board report for this
month if appropriate!

Re: What's next for WS@Apache? Discuss.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
What about creating a Wiki page with an initial proposal where people
can indicate their interest in joining as PMC members/committers of
the new TLPs?

Andreas

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: What's next for WS@Apache? Discuss.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Instead of debating principle, I would suggest the following procedure.

To turn a sub(sub)project into a TLP, it takes a board resolution. The
standard procedure is for the existing PMC to vote to send recommend the new
TLP resolution to the board.

I, for one, will vote +1 for any plausible proposed TLP resolution, which
(to me) means any resolution with a reasonable critical mass of volunteer
PMC members.

For practical reasons, that mass had better be at least 3, and I'm a little
squeamish if the number is less than 5, and I do wonder what the board
thinks. So, let's find out what the board thinks, and then we'll see what of
the bits and pieces can muster the necessary numbers.

Posted by Eran Chinthaka Withana <er...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: What's next for WS@Apache? Discuss.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Sanjiva,

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> I don't have a binding vote, but my thoughts.....
>
> (one more thing you MIGHT want to consider is contacting the 100+
> committer/PMC members and finding which could be made emeritus to cut down
> the
> list a little bit)
>
> On Wednesday 14 April 2010 11:08:17 pm Glen Daniels wrote:
> > Hey y'all,
> >
> > So as per my earlier mail to the dev lists, we need to talk about...
> >
> > * Which subprojects should be promoted to TLPs?
> > * Which subprojects should be migrated to the Attic?
> > * What should the structure look like for what remains?
> >
> > Here's what we've got to work with.
> >
> > 1. Axiom (commons)
> > 2. Neethi (commons)
> > 3. XmlSchema (commons)
> > 4. Tcpmon (commons)
> > 5. Guththila (commons)
> > 6. JaxMe
> > 7. jUDDI
> > 8. Scout
> > 9. Muse
> > 10.Woden
> > 11.WSIF
> > 12.WSS4J
> > 13.XMLRPC
> >
> > Let's talk Attic first.  It seems WSIF and Muse have been pretty much
> > inactive for some time now, so I'd propose we get the ball rolling with
> > proposals to Attic both of those.  JaxMe also seems ripe for the Attic.
>
> That makes sense to me.
>

> > I think that it's pretty clear jUDDI and Scout should migrate together to
> > new TLP, Apache jUDDI, with Kurt as chair.  Thoughts?
>
> +1
>

> > Does anyone outside of Axis2/C use Guththila?  If not, I'd suggest that
> > migrate to Axis.
>
> +1
>

> > Is there enough activity on XMLRPC to keep it alive?  Jochen?
>
> As long as there are people using it that may require some fixes or support
> and someone is willing to support them if required, keeping it in WS for
> now
> is probably OK.    There was another project (Excalibur) that recently
> discussed this and came to the same conclusion.
>
> > Personally, I'd probably prefer to leave Axiom, Neethi, XmlSchema, and
> > Tcpmon as subprojects of WS.  I'd like to get rid of the "commons" layer,
> > though, since I think the "new" WS project should itself be a set of
> > commonly useful WS components.
>
> +1
>
> > I know other ideas have been discussed for
> > the commons stuff, so let's start that discussion and get the various
> > opinions out on the table?
> >
> > That leaves Woden and WSS4J.  Maybe Woden should stay in WS?
>
> +1

  + 1  to keep Woden under WS.

  Also I think it's time to modify WS PMC after these changes.

Thanks,

--
Sagara Gunathunga

Blog - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
Web - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/

Re: What's next for WS@Apache? Discuss.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday 20 April 2010 12:56:14 am Samisa Abeysinghe wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I don't have a binding vote, but my thoughts.....
> >
> > (one more thing you MIGHT want to consider is contacting the 100+
> > committer/PMC members and finding which could be made emeritus to cut
> > down the
> > list a little bit)
>
> I thought in the process of making Axis TLP this happened. Only those
> showed interest was given commit rights.

For the Axis TLP, yes.   Only those from WS that were interested were granted
rights on Axis.   However, the list for WS remains how it was.   What I was
suggesting was to try and get the WS list down a bit.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: What's next for WS@Apache? Discuss.

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
I don't have a binding vote, but my thoughts.....

(one more thing you MIGHT want to consider is contacting the 100+
committer/PMC members and finding which could be made emeritus to cut down the
list a little bit)

On Wednesday 14 April 2010 11:08:17 pm Glen Daniels wrote:
> Hey y'all,
>
> So as per my earlier mail to the dev lists, we need to talk about...
>
> * Which subprojects should be promoted to TLPs?
> * Which subprojects should be migrated to the Attic?
> * What should the structure look like for what remains?
>
> Here's what we've got to work with.
>
> 1. Axiom (commons)
> 2. Neethi (commons)
> 3. XmlSchema (commons)
> 4. Tcpmon (commons)
> 5. Guththila (commons)
> 6. JaxMe
> 7. jUDDI
> 8. Scout
> 9. Muse
> 10.Woden
> 11.WSIF
> 12.WSS4J
> 13.XMLRPC
>
> Let's talk Attic first.  It seems WSIF and Muse have been pretty much
> inactive for some time now, so I'd propose we get the ball rolling with
> proposals to Attic both of those.  JaxMe also seems ripe for the Attic.

That makes sense to me.

> I think that it's pretty clear jUDDI and Scout should migrate together to a
> new TLP, Apache jUDDI, with Kurt as chair.  Thoughts?

+1

> Does anyone outside of Axis2/C use Guththila?  If not, I'd suggest that
> migrate to Axis.

+1

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 5:08 AM, Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:

> Is there enough activity on XMLRPC to keep it alive?  Jochen?

There is no new development to expect, but I'd consider the mailing list active.

Jochen

--
Germanys national anthem is the most boring in the world - how telling!

Re: What's next for WS@Apache? Discuss.

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
+1 to make both Axiom and XmlSchema as TLPs.

I have been contributing both projects in terms of fixing axis2 related
issues. So I would like to join both.

thanks,
Amila.

--
Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

Re: What's next for WS@Apache? Discuss.

Posted by Kurt T Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.
Glen Daniels wrote:
> Hm, mostly crickets chirping.
>
> Should we just Attic everything then? :)
>
> --G
>
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 23:08:17 -0400, Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey y'all,
>>
>> So as per my earlier mail to the dev lists, we need to talk about...
>>
>> * Which subprojects should be promoted to TLPs?
>> * Which subprojects should be migrated to the Attic?
>> * What should the structure look like for what remains?
>>
>> Here's what we've got to work with.
>>
>> 1. Axiom (commons)
>> 2. Neethi (commons)
>> 3. XmlSchema (commons)
>> 4. Tcpmon (commons)
>> 5. Guththila (commons)
>> 6. JaxMe
>> 7. jUDDI
>> 8. Scout
>> 9. Muse
>> 10.Woden
>> 11.WSIF
>> 12.WSS4J
>> 13.XMLRPC
>>
>> Let's talk Attic first.  It seems WSIF and Muse have been pretty much
>> inactive for some time now, so I'd propose we get the ball rolling with
>> proposals to Attic both of those.  JaxMe also seems ripe for the Attic.
>>
>> I think that it's pretty clear jUDDI and Scout should migrate together
>>
> to a
>
>> new TLP, Apache jUDDI, with Kurt as chair.  Thoughts?

That seems reasonable to me. We've been working fairly independently
from the other ws projects for a while now and Scout and jUDDI are
tightly related to eachother.

--Kurt

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I am on vacation. expect a few remarks on xmlschema next week.

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
I think that Axiom would be a good candidate for a TLP.

Andreas

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Guththila is a module of Axis2/C project. Guththila code is in the Axis2/C
> code base. So we can remove it from the commons.

+1.

Samisa...

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.
Guththila is a module of Axis2/C project. Guththila code is in the Axis2/C
code base. So we can remove it from the commons.

Thanks,
Supun..

--
Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc