Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by svenk1 <bo...@ketchum.com> on 2012/02/22 18:11:20 UTC

Subversion restore

Hello.  I've read through some threads, but it seems that the scenarios
assume I have valid repo dumps.  I do not.

What I have is a new server, and the backups of the old server.  I installed
what I can only assume is a much newer version of subversion on the new
server.  I copied my repo directory to the new server and tried an import,
which failed with svn: Expected version '3' of repository; found version
'5'.  In fact, it says that no matter what svn command I put in.

I am running "svn, version 1.1.4 (r13838)"

Can anyone please point me down the right path?

Re: Subversion restore

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM, svenk1 <bo...@ketchum.com> wrote:

> Les - It is an older Centos 4.8 install.  I ran yum install subversion and
> copied the repository directory to the new server.  I tried the import
> because I didnt have dumps.  I don't know what I am doing.
> I tried the dump but got the same message
> svnadmin dump /svn
> svn: Expected version '3' of repository; found version '5'
>
> Dave - I just installed subversion by running yum install subversion on this
> older centos 4.8 install.
>
> Is there a way I can tell what version the repository is?  I would prefer to
> install the same version to avoid conflicts with the older OS.

CentOS 4.x is _extremely_ old.  For some things, stability is a good
thing, but with subversion newer is better.  And apparently someone
had installed a newer version of subversion on the old box, which is
causing part of your problem now (although it would not have been a
good thing for your 'import' command to have worked either).    Unless
you have other apps that have to stay on 4.8, I'd recommend installing
 Centos 6.2 at this point which should come with a usable 1.6 version
of subversion.   If you have to stay on 4.8, look at Rpmforge or other
3rd party yum package repositories for a more current subversion to
match what you had been running.  Once you install a subversion that
is at least as new as the one that created the repository it should be
able to use it directly, but I'd probably still go through the motions
of the dump/load to give it a chance to use the most efficient format.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Subversion restore

Posted by David Chapman <dc...@acm.org>.
On 2/22/2012 9:52 AM, svenk1 wrote:
> Les - It is an older Centos 4.8 install.  I ran yum install subversion and
> copied the repository directory to the new server.  I tried the import
> because I didnt have dumps.  I don't know what I am doing.
> I tried the dump but got the same message
> svnadmin dump /svn
> svn: Expected version '3' of repository; found version '5'
>
> Dave - I just installed subversion by running yum install subversion on this
> older centos 4.8 install.
>
> Is there a way I can tell what version the repository is?  I would prefer to
> install the same version to avoid conflicts with the older OS.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/notes/repos_upgrade_HOWTO

Repository version 5 corresponds to Subversion 1.4 and later.  Your
CentOS 4.8 installation has Subversion 1.3.x in all likelihood if you're
getting this message.  Try "svn --version"; it will tell you what's been
installed.

Don't continue to use an old version of Subversion; upgrade as soon as
possible.  You won't get any support for older versions.

--
     David Chapman      dcchapman@acm.org
     Chapman Consulting -- San Jose, CA

Re: Subversion restore

Posted by svenk1 <bo...@ketchum.com>.

Re: Subversion restore

Posted by Dave Huang <kh...@azeotrope.org>.

Re: Subversion restore

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:11 PM, svenk1 <bo...@ketchum.com> wrote:

> Hello.  I've read through some threads, but it seems that the scenarios
> assume I have valid repo dumps.  I do not.
>
> What I have is a new server, and the backups of the old server.  I installed
> what I can only assume is a much newer version of subversion on the new
> server.  I copied my repo directory to the new server and tried an import,
> which failed with svn: Expected version '3' of repository; found version
> '5'.  In fact, it says that no matter what svn command I put in.
>
> I am running "svn, version 1.1.4 (r13838)"
>
> Can anyone please point me down the right path?

You have the exact opposite problem of the one you think you have.
Your old server was running a modern version of Subversion and so the
created repositories have format 5.

Your new server has an ancient version of Subversion that is unable to
read the newer format.

Upgrade the Subversion binaries on your new server and you will be all
set.  The current version is 1.7.3, but using a 1.6.x version would
also be OK.  Do not use anything older than that.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Subversion restore

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM, svenk1 <bo...@ketchum.com> wrote:

> Hello.  I've read through some threads, but it seems that the scenarios
> assume I have valid repo dumps.  I do not.
>
> What I have is a new server, and the backups of the old server.  I installed
> what I can only assume is a much newer version of subversion on the new
> server.  I copied my repo directory to the new server and tried an import,
> which failed with svn: Expected version '3' of repository; found version
> '5'.  In fact, it says that no matter what svn command I put in.
>
> I am running "svn, version 1.1.4 (r13838)"
>
> Can anyone please point me down the right path?

That's not much of a description of what you have or what you've done.
  Can you provide some more details about the platforms and versions
involved.  For one thing, an 'import' doesn't make much sense in the
context of 2 repositories,  and neither does an error message about a
too-new repository from what you think is a newer program.    In any
case, I'd try to svnadmin dump the old copy of the repo.  If that
works you can follow the standard instructions.  If not, try to
restore your old version of svnadmin - but from your error message
above, I think you may already be confused about what versions you
have installed and running.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com