Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at> on 2002/02/27 18:47:01 UTC

SocketNode - Extended

mark suggested i should submit any changes i made to the SocketNode class.
well, here it is.

if you're wondering why the class needed changing:
the original socketnode class does not have a method to close it. so, once
you've started the thread for the socketnode, all you can do is kill the
thread if you want to end or reset the process containing the thread (or
multiple threads, depending on how many appenders are connected).
using timeouts is not well suited for this situation, because if you shut
down the logging server, you would want to stop all threads immediately, not
after a certain period.

since the class is very small, i decided to submit it to the list. inside
the zip-file, you will also find the class LoggingServer, a very small class
that starts a server listening for incoming connections on port 5000
(hardcoded - see README for details) and spawning threads for
socketappenders as they connect. (the server will also end the threads when
it is told to)

i hope that is useful for others.

greetings,

rick

ps: every speech should end with acknowledgements thank-you's. i'd like to
thank albert meixner for helping me with all these threading issues i still
don't really understand.

|-
| peter riegersperger  <ri...@subnet.at>
|-
| subnet
| platform for media art and experimental technologies
|-
| http://www.subnet.at/
|-
| muehlbacherhofweg 5 // 5020 salzburg // austria
|-
| fon/fax +43/662/842 897
|-

SocketNode - Extended (II)

Posted by peter riegersperger <ri...@subnet.at>.
stupid mouse. always hits the "send" button before i'm done.

allright, again, but this time _with_ the attachment.
(this IS very embarrassing :P)

rick

|-
| peter riegersperger  <ri...@subnet.at>
|-
| subnet
| platform for media art and experimental technologies
|-
| http://www.subnet.at/
|-
| muehlbacherhofweg 5 // 5020 salzburg // austria
|-
| fon/fax +43/662/842 897
|-

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>