Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk> on 2002/05/09 14:45:11 UTC

revision of allan-site ...may9

hi again

here's yet another version with some changes that you guys
wanted and some new stuff.

->
http://perl.apache.org/preview/allan-May9/dst_html/index.html

[thanks for the upload & build work, stas!]

changes:

* all nav/download widgets are now lower (15-16px)

* the menu-titles are now white on a darkblue background
[the font is fixed 14px]

* the menu-border is a dark gray [instead of fadish dark
blue] no-one noticed this on the last upload which i take as
a good sign ;)

* the selected menu-item now has a background-image instead
of the bg-colour. the very cool thing is that we maintain
the font on top of the image instead of a complete image
with integrated fonts (that would also imply different
images for each and every menu-item)
 - the property for the background-image are in-line [it has
to, due to netscape].
 (if you look at the filename you can see i tried to just
have the menu-titles with this background-image which also
looked nice IMO but decided to use it on the selected item instead)

* the selected menu-item font-color is black

* the search-box is now very compact and looks correct in
the browsers i have acces to.
 - there should be no horizontal white-space apart from the
1px padding from the table
  (please check how i fixed that with a font style trick
[i'm almost proud of it])

* the body tag is now just <body> which i personally like.
 - instead the properties for the background are in-line
[they have to, due to netscape]
 - if a user has turned off stylesheets the bg-image will
not show up which is a small benfit in our case. instead he
will have a white background making the content easier to read.

(we discussed this ages ago, but it seems to work now in all
my browsers)

* minor things:
- changed The Site Map -> Site Map
- changed Hot Short Cuts -> Hot short cuts
- changed sister sites -> Sister sites

-----
BTW, shouldn't the site map menu-item show up as selected
when you click it?
-----

thanks
./allan

Re: revision of allan-site ...may9

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
allan wrote:
> i forgot to request someone with a
>
> linux/ns4 browser.
> and
> linux/konqueror browser.
>
> how does the very top span?
> is the camel at the far right like other browsers?

i just posted my comments.

Re: revision of allan-site ...may9

Posted by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at>.
Hi!

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 08:45:11PM +0800, allan wrote:
> * the selected menu-item now has a background-image instead
> of the bg-colour. the very cool thing is that we maintain
-1

Additionally to what the others said, the image seems like a optical
illusion, as the two horizontal lines don't look paralell, but outward-bent.

> - changed The Site Map -> Site Map
+1

> - changed Hot Short Cuts -> Hot short cuts
"Short Cuts" might be enough.

--
 D_OMM      +---->  http://domm.zsi.at <-----+
 O_xyderkes |       neu:  Arbeitsplatz       |

Re: revision of allan-site ...may9

Posted by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk>.
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> >* the menu-titles are now white on a darkblue background
> >[the font is fixed 14px]
>
> -1
> Hmm, why not keep them as they were before any changes were made? Everyone
> seemed happy with them. These new ones hurt my eyes when I look at them
> (not that they're ugly, but they stand out too much IMO.
>
> >* the selected menu-item now has a background-image instead
> >of the bg-colour. the very cool thing is that we maintain
> >the font on top of the image instead of a complete image
> >with integrated fonts (that would also imply different
> >images for each and every menu-item)
>
> -1. I think it's very hard to spot the text of the link now, and it doesn't
> add any good things.
>
> >* the selected menu-item font-color is black
>
> -1 again

i hear you - im trying different things. try yourself if you
have time with the coffee-break-game i just sent.
i changed my mind and now like the idea of a lighter
bg-image as the menu-title background.

> >* the search-box is now very compact and looks correct in
> >the browsers i have acces to.
> >  - there should be no horizontal white-space apart from the
> >1px padding from the table
> >   (please check how i fixed that with a font style trick
> >[i'm almost proud of it])
>
> +1. Still a lot of whitespace *around* it in IE6, but that's not a problem.

ok, but i will post another idea ... with time

> Can't we just make it "Shortcuts"? They don't need to be "Hot" :)

+1

Re: revision of allan-site ...may9

Posted by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk>.
thanks per!

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 07:32 10.05.2002, allan wrote:
>Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> > >* the search-box is now very compact and looks correct in
> > >the browsers i have acces to.
> > >  - there should be no horizontal white-space apart from the
> > >1px padding from the table
> > >   (please check how i fixed that with a font style trick
> > >[i'm almost proud of it])
> >
> > +1. Still a lot of whitespace *around* it in IE6, but that's not a problem.
>
>try to add this in style.css
>
>form.search-box {
>         margin-bottom: 0px;
>}
>
>and this in the html form:
>
>class=search-box
>
>did that help?

Nice!
form.search-box {
         margin-bottom: 0;
         margin-top: 0;
}

per.einar@skynet.be

Re: revision of allan-site ...may9

Posted by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
> (you are fixing all these in your copy, right allan?)

yes, i will try and make a new copy integrating all
positively fixed things...

> I prefer it broken in konqueror (where the only problem is shifted
> camel), but it doesn't pay off the problems in NS4. Can we revert?

ok reverting.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
>>in konqueror it's a bit messed up (no center alignment). see the snapshot.
>

> that's hard to understand - can you try and specify one of these:
>

> div.search-box {
> 	width: 140px; / *or something like that /
> 	margin: auto; /* might not be need */
> }

that doesn't work

> or in the html:
> <form method="GET" action="../search/swish.cgi"
> enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" name="site_search_form">
>                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> (or another width)

that does work!

>>>Can't we just make it "Shortcuts"? They don't need to be "Hot" :)
>>
>>Sure :)
>>
>>A few more things that I've noticed:
>>
>>konqueror: Lincoln Stein looks too big, see the snapshot.
>

> argh:
> please try this:
> div.quote-details {
>     font-family: helvetica, arial, verdana, sans-serif;

yes, that was the problem. ok now.

(you are fixing all these in your copy, right allan?)

>>NS4: the navigation prev|next is shifting off the page. see the
>>snapshot. This doesn't happen with the current cvs.
>

> yes thats the width: 100% for the logobox (whcih fixed konqueror)

I prefer it broken in konqueror (where the only problem is shifted
camel), but it doesn't pay off the problems in NS4. Can we revert?

Thanks!

Re: revision of allan-site ...may9

Posted by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk>.
Stas Bekman wrote:

> Great stuff, Allan! Hopefully we will be done soon :)

oh yeah!

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Great stuff, Allan! Hopefully we will be done soon :)

>> * the menu-titles are now white on a darkblue background
>> [the font is fixed 14px]
>

> -1
> Hmm, why not keep them as they were before any changes were made?
> Everyone seemed happy with them. These new ones hurt my eyes when I look
> at them (not that they're ugly, but they stand out too much IMO.

-1, same as Per Einar

>> * the selected menu-item now has a background-image instead
>> of the bg-colour. the very cool thing is that we maintain
>> the font on top of the image instead of a complete image
>> with integrated fonts (that would also imply different
>> images for each and every menu-item)
>

> -1. I think it's very hard to spot the text of the link now, and it
> doesn't add any good things.

-1, ditto

though it looks very cool! but becomes annoying in a long run.

>> * the selected menu-item font-color is black
>

> -1 again

well, that of course relates to the above changes.

>> * the search-box is now very compact and looks correct in
>> the browsers i have acces to.
>>  - there should be no horizontal white-space apart from the
>> 1px padding from the table
>>   (please check how i fixed that with a font style trick
>> [i'm almost proud of it])
>

> +1. Still a lot of whitespace *around* it in IE6, but that's not a problem.

in konqueror it's a bit messed up (no center alignment). see the snapshot.

>> * the body tag is now just <body> which i personally like.
>>  - instead the properties for the background are in-line
>> [they have to, due to netscape]
>>  - if a user has turned off stylesheets the bg-image will
>> not show up which is a small benfit in our case. instead he
>> will have a white background making the content easier to read.
>>
>> (we discussed this ages ago, but it seems to work now in all
>> my browsers)
>

> +1

+1, looks good here

>> * minor things:
>> - changed The Site Map -> Site Map
>> - changed Hot Short Cuts -> Hot short cuts

why? They are titles. Titles are always Upcase for words longer than 2-3
letters

> Can't we just make it "Shortcuts"? They don't need to be "Hot" :)

Sure :)

A few more things that I've noticed:

konqueror: Lincoln Stein looks too big, see the snapshot.

NS4: the navigation prev|next is shifting off the page. see the
snapshot. This doesn't happen with the current cvs.

The rest looks great!

Re: revision of allan-site ...may9

Posted by allan <la...@inet.uni2.dk>.

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 14:45 09.05.2002, allan wrote:
>changes:
>
>* all nav/download widgets are now lower (15-16px)

+1

>* the menu-titles are now white on a darkblue background
>[the font is fixed 14px]

-1
Hmm, why not keep them as they were before any changes were made? Everyone
seemed happy with them. These new ones hurt my eyes when I look at them
(not that they're ugly, but they stand out too much IMO.

>* the selected menu-item now has a background-image instead
>of the bg-colour. the very cool thing is that we maintain
>the font on top of the image instead of a complete image
>with integrated fonts (that would also imply different
>images for each and every menu-item)

-1. I think it's very hard to spot the text of the link now, and it doesn't
add any good things.

>* the selected menu-item font-color is black

-1 again

>* the search-box is now very compact and looks correct in
>the browsers i have acces to.
>  - there should be no horizontal white-space apart from the
>1px padding from the table
>   (please check how i fixed that with a font style trick
>[i'm almost proud of it])

+1. Still a lot of whitespace *around* it in IE6, but that's not a problem.

>* the body tag is now just <body> which i personally like.
>  - instead the properties for the background are in-line
>[they have to, due to netscape]
>  - if a user has turned off stylesheets the bg-image will
>not show up which is a small benfit in our case. instead he
>will have a white background making the content easier to read.
>
>(we discussed this ages ago, but it seems to work now in all
>my browsers)

+1