Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com> on 2005/03/22 07:49:24 UTC

[Axis2]Plans for the Axsi2 summit

Hi all,
Since there are requests for presentations and audio/video recordings
of the sessions we need to think of a better way to cater for the
people who will be absent in the summit (other than the wiki).
General discussions are not appropriate to be recorded , even in audio
format, since the people will feel restricted once they know it's
being recorded.( we did not record the sessions last time due to
this!) So recording the complete sessions is out.
But we can actually record (either in audio or video) the
presentations. I am now planning a complete Axis2 overview
presentation which will include notes as well. it is possible have the
audio (or video if people are so keen in looking at me or Srinath
waving our hands :)) of this. (I mean I have no objections :)).
So here is my suggestion. We can have a short (lets say 10 to 15
minutes maximum) presentation before we start every session. This
presentation will be a general introduction about the topic to discuss
and will include specific problem areas. A person who is well aware of
the particular topic can do the presentation. We can record these
presentations (if there are no objections) and publish along with the
ppt + notes.

thoughts ?

--
Ajith Ranabahu

Re: [Axis2]Plans for the Axsi2 summit

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Ajith Ranabahu wrote:
> Hi there Shawn,
> Well, there were no remote participants last time. I don't think we
> can do a phone conference (it will probably be too expensive) but we
> may be able to arrange a yahoo/MSN voice conference. You can anyway
> use wiki and IRC but they will probably be "off-line" (meaning not
> real time) for the conference.
> Yes I will publish the summit material ASAP :)

Apart from its win32 only nature (and as of last week, it will only ever
be win32), groove is good for collaborative stuff this way; you can do
shared presentations with handoff of speaker, notes in the corner,
person-to-person messaging. Voice sucks though, you need to use
something better like the phone, and in the absence of skype conf
calling, not cheap.

best to focus on good in-room working, perhaps with publishing of
presentations (in .PDF or .SXW format) and IRC logs. That way those of
us in different timezones can catch up when we get a chance.

Re: [Axis2]Plans for the Axsi2 summit

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi there Shawn,
Well, there were no remote participants last time. I don't think we
can do a phone conference (it will probably be too expensive) but we
may be able to arrange a yahoo/MSN voice conference. You can anyway
use wiki and IRC but they will probably be "off-line" (meaning not
real time) for the conference.
Yes I will publish the summit material ASAP :)

Posted by Shawn Dahlen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Ajith -

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

>We could record the audio but if last time was an indication I
>doubt anyone outside the room will be able to follow it. Let's
>definitely do IRC and assign scribes to take notes on IRC. Also,
>we can use skype for audio? We could do a phone call but it
>will be expensive to do it for the whole time, however Shawn
>if there's a couple of hours where you'd really like to do join
>we could certainly do it for that slot.
>
>I suggest we try IRC + skype and then switch to phone if needed.

sounds (!) good to me. as a backup i would also have MSN and Yahoo
though i am not usre how many audio participantds they support.

alek

Posted by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>.