Posted to fortress@directory.apache.org by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org> on 2022/04/08 15:17:49 UTC

Last call for Java 8 support

Hello,

It’s becoming increasingly difficult to justify supporting Java 8 in the fortress codeline. Dependencies like Wicket and JGraphT require 9 and 11, respectively.  Both very important libraries to us.

But, if you still need Java 8 support, we can discuss it here.  I’m not opposed to splitting the code in two.

Version 2.x can continue to support 8, for some predetermined amount of time. Probably coinciding with the openjdk’s EOF for 8.

Version 3.x will be >= 9.

Obviously, this adds weight to the development of the code. But, we don’t want to abandon users who continue to require 8.

On the other hand, if there’s no need for 8 support, I’d be more than happy to cut ties with it.  There’s certainly nothing in the fortress code itself that requires the more primitive compiler.

This is your opportunity to weigh in on the topic.

If we don’t hear anything, there’ll be an announcement declaring Java 8 support deprecated. Then, we’d probably cut one more release supporting it, 2.0.8, and then continue on with version 3 dropping its support.

—
Shawn

Re: Last call for Java 8 support

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Ah, right. Security support are going to be provided till 2024.

On 11/04/2022 15:45, Shawn McKinney wrote:

>> On Apr 10, 2022, at 6:02 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Only if you pay. And we are talking about big $.
>>
>> We have absolutely no way to get those corrected Java versions which may have an impact on our code base.
>>
>> That's why I think we should move forward.
>

> Are you referring to Oracle's JDK?  I’m talking about the OpenJDK
>
> https://endoflife.date/java
>
> —
> Shawn

*Emmanuel Lécharny - CTO* 205 Promenade des Anglais – 06200 NICE
T. +33 (0)4 89 97 36 50
P. +33 (0)6 08 33 32 61
emmanuel.lecharny@busit.com https://www.busit.com/

Re: Last call for Java 8 support