Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dale Kinder <Da...@civica.co.uk> on 2009/01/28 15:15:23 UTC

v1.5.x - Merging Very Slow

After upgrading subversion from v1.4.4 to v1.5.4 merging is extremely
slow.

On v1.4.4 it was taking 3 seconds to merge 3 files with 1 line changes.
Since upgrading, it now takes around 22 minutes to carry out the same
merge.  I've tried the same test against v1.5.5 and the issue is still
present.

Is there any way to disable the new merge tracking features in v1.5.x?
.... or ... is there any way that I can revert back to v1.4.4 and down
grade my repositories?

Cheers,
Dale

Please remember to recycle wherever possible.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, think do you need to print this e-mail?
This e-mail and any attachment(s), is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or use of this e-mail or any of its content is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender immediately and destroy the e-mail, any attachment(s) and any copies. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. It is your responsibility to scan or otherwise check this email and any attachment(s). Unless otherwise stated (i) views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender (ii) no contract may be construed by this e-mail. Emails may be monitored and you are taken to consent to this monitoring.

Civica Services Limited, Company No. 02374268; Civica UK Limited, Company No. 01628868
Both companies are registered in England and Wales and each has its registered office at 2 Burston Road, Putney, London, SW15 6AR.

Re: v1.5.x - Merging Very Slow

Posted by Mark Eichin <ei...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Dale Kinder <Da...@civica.co.uk> wrote:
> After upgrading subversion from v1.4.4 to v1.5.4 merging is extremely slow.
>
> On v1.4.4 it was taking 3 seconds to merge 3 files with 1 line changes.
> Since upgrading, it now takes around 22 minutes to carry out the same
> merge.  I've tried the same test against v1.5.5 and the issue is still
> present.

Take a look at how much memory it's using - I've been running into a
problem with 1.5.x (.4 and .5 definitely) where a not-very-large (but
flat and heavily merged) directory causes the client to use between 1G
and 3G of RAM - so on a machine with 1G, it starts swapping and takes
20m+ to cherry pick a 10-line change - the same change on a machine
with 4G finishes in under a minute.  (We had one instance that failed
entirely, because you can only get 3G per process on a 32-bit
linux...)  Unfortunately I haven't reproduced it from scratch.

Re: v1.5.x - Merging Very Slow

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Dale Kinder <Da...@civica.co.uk> wrote:
> After upgrading subversion from v1.4.4 to v1.5.4 merging is extremely slow.
>
> On v1.4.4 it was taking 3 seconds to merge 3 files with 1 line changes.
> Since upgrading, it now takes around 22 minutes to carry out the same
> merge.  I've tried the same test against v1.5.5 and the issue is still
> present.

Have you tried running svn update on your working copy before
performing the merge?  If your WC is at a single uniform revision
there are some performance shortcuts that the process can take.

> Is there any way to disable the new merge tracking features in v1.5.x? ....
> or ... is there any way that I can revert back to v1.4.4 and down grade my
> repositories?

Merge is basically a client operation, so if you use a 1.4.4 client it
will not be using merge tracking.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard