Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Mark Woon <mo...@SMI.Stanford.EDU> on 2002/06/08 03:14:29 UTC

Which Component Manager to use?

Hi all...

I'm starting some new work and plan on using Avalon, but I haven't been
keeping up with all the changes that have been taking place recently.
 Is there any consensus as to which Component Manger I should be using
if I'm starting from scratch?  I used to use the ECM, but since that's
falling into disfavor, what's its replacement, if any?

How stable is Fortress?  Will Avalon 5.0 pretty much deprecate
everything that's available now?

Thanks,
-Mark

Re: Which Component Manager to use?

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Monday 10 June 2002 05:11 pm, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Merlin isn't a component manager - its a tool/component you can use to
> compose and execute components.

ah, i stand corrected :)
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org

Re: Which Component Manager to use?

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@osm.net>.

Peter Royal wrote:

>On Friday 07 June 2002 09:14 pm, Mark Woon wrote:
>

>> Is there any consensus as to which Component Manger I should be using
>>if I'm starting from scratch?  I used to use the ECM, but since that's
>>falling into disfavor, what's its replacement, if any?
>>

>It seems as if Fortress is the next-rev of the ECM. There is also Merlin, but
>I haven't looked at it yet.

Merlin isn't a component manager - its a tool/component you can use to
compose and execute components.

Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: Which Component Manager to use?

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@osm.net>.

Mark Woon wrote:

> Hi all...
>
> I'm starting some new work and plan on using Avalon, but I haven't
> been keeping up with all the changes that have been taking place
> recently. Is there any consensus as to which Component Manger I should
> be using if I'm starting from scratch?

Yes - org.apache.avalon.framework.service.ServiceManager
It identical to ComponentManager with the exception that it is independent
of the Component marker interface.

> I used to use the ECM, but since that's falling into disfavor, what's
> its replacement, if any?
>
> How stable is Fortress?

Still cooking if I understand correctly.

> Will Avalon 5.0 pretty much deprecate everything that's available now?

Absolutly not - there is a lot of noice covering stuff that has been
discussed lots of times before - I am confident on predicting that
Avalon 5 will look very much like Avalon today - with perhaps a few
carefully thought-out optimizations (and I really mean numbers of
changescan be counted on the fingers of one hand - e.g. deprication of
remove() on CM/SM would be one such change).

Cheers, Steve.