Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Shad Storhaug <sh...@shadstorhaug.com> on 2017/05/01 16:43:12 UTC

RE: Release

Stefan,

Shall we give the release process another try?

http://www.shadstorhaug.com/lucenenet-4.8.0-beta00001.zip

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.
Regarding a vote, do we need to vote to release beta versions? I honestly don't recall...it's been so long ☹

It has been 72 hours since your reply, yet the packages are still at the URL below and not at https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/lucenenet/.  I realize they may take a while to propagate there, but when is the appropriate time to upload to NuGet? Also, is there another way to check the status of the vote?

Thanks,
Shad Storhaug (NightOwl888)

Posted by Shad Storhaug <sh...@shadstorhaug.com>.
Itamar,

BTW - I ended up setting up a new MyGet Feed https://www.myget.org/gallery/lucene-net-ci. The reason for this is because upon testing the versioning scheme with .NET Core, it was failing to resolve dependencies. You can have a 4 segment version (4.8.0.1), a pre-release version (4.8.0-beta1), but not both (4.8.0.1-beta). So, the whole thing had to be reverted to a lower version range than what is on https://www.myget.org/gallery/lucene-net. If we put new packages with lower version numbers on that feed, the dependent packages won't resolve correctly.

Going forward, I set up the build script to automatically switch from 4.8.0-beta00001 to 4.8.0.1 (by changing the env.VersionSuffix and build counter in TeamCity https://teamcity.jetbrains.com/viewType.html?buildTypeId=LuceneNet_PortableBuilds_LuceneNetRelease) so we can at least patch bugs post-release without the version getting out of sync with Lucene.

I am happy to give anyone that needs it ownership of the MyGet feed - but I was planning on doing the ownership invites after creating all of the new NuGet packages so it can all be done at the same time.

Shad

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.
3 is the only one I see that we should correct prior to beta. The other three are all fixable as we go through beta with the community.

I don't think ChineseAnalyzer needs to be done in this beta either. We *should* release another beta with changes.txt, and the other fixes. ChineseAnalyzer can be included in the next beta as well as other issues seen by the community.

I'd say fix 3, and I'll +1 a vote (72 hours). Between the 72hr period and and the fix, Itamar probably has his week, and unless he find's a huge issue, we can always address it in beta (sorry Itamar, I don't think we have to wait for your review).

My $.02.

~P

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2017-05-05, Shad Storhaug wrote:

> Over the past few days I realized there are a few things that could use some tweaking before the release:

> 1. The CHANGES.txt has not been updated with the latest status.

I wouldn't re-roll a beta for that.

> 2. We have no way to make a strong-named build as per Itamar's blog post (http://code972.com/blog/2014/04/68-ditching-strong-naming-for-lucene-net).

IIRC we wanted to provide build instructions for people who want strong
named assemblies. I'd expect those build instructions to be independent
of the release itself.

> 3. It might be better to rename the Lucene.Net.Icu package to
> Lucene.Net.ICU (which, if done, is something that should be done now,
> not after the first beta).

Agreed.

> 4. The Spatial4n.Core and (unreleased) Spatial4n.Core.NTS packages
> depend on .NET Standard 1.6.1, but Lucene.Net depends on .NET Standard
> 1.6.0. This causes a non-fatal dependency warning. But we need to
> update all 3 of the Spatial4n.Core, Spatial4n.Core.NTS, and
> Lucene.Net.Spatial to fix it.

If you are going to create new artifacts, the it may be worth doing
that. But I wouldn't think this is a blocker either.

Stefan

RE: Release

Posted by Shad Storhaug <sh...@shadstorhaug.com>.

Re: Release

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2017-05-05, Itamar Syn-Hershko wrote:

> So what is the current status of the licensing issue you raised?

I have fixed all files I oculd find in master and Shad was kind enough
to clean up after me. :-)

Shad also replaced all GPLed files stemming from OpenJDK with Apache
licensed alternatives from Harmony.

Stefan

Re: Release

Posted by Itamar Syn-Hershko <it...@code972.com>.