Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jasper Floor <j....@onehippo.com> on 2012/11/16 10:42:44 UTC

Why does mvn compiile using java 1.3?

Hi,

For some reason mvn is compiling using java 1.3. I do not understand this
behavior. I have never seen this before and it doesn't do this on my
colleagues machine with the same project. The big difference is he is a
windows use and I am a linux user.

Apache Maven 3.0.4
Maven home: /usr/share/maven
Java version: 1.6.0_33, vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java home: /opt/jdk/jdk1.6.0_33/jre
OS name: "linux", version: "3.2.0-29-generic", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"

Its a Mint distro, but with my own java installed as I required the 1.6
 jdk.

mvg,
Jasper

Re: Why does mvn compiile using java 1.3?

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Mark,

> Now that Oracle are controlling Java on OSX we can no longer "blame
> Apple"

Well, the new problem is that Java 7 only runs on Lion or later. So then I
blame whoever made that decision. It has forced my projects to stay with
Java 6 (which can for the most part be run in a Java 5 environment too
using Retrotranslator) for the foreseeable future.

> I'd love to see the default become Java 7 now.
> And if one needs to lock down to the older versions, lock them down.

I agree, actually. That said, I think Java source/target versions are
analogous to Maven plugin versions, in that it is safest to *always* lock
them down, for all the same reasons.

Regards,
Curtis

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Point is, unless you are using java 1.3, until 2.5ish you have had the

So changing the default from 1.5 to 1.7 will not make life any harder for
you as you'll just be putting back in the <source>1.5</source> and
<target>1.5</target> (assuming you didn't keep it there, because its safer)

On 29 November 2012 10:06, Stadelmann Josef <
josef.stadelmann@axa-winterthur.ch> wrote:

> I don't love that as a default! because there are OS which do not yet have
> up-to-date Open JDK 7 or JDK 8.
> And we do not have influence to the company not delivering as they should,
> years after promising that Java is
> what we need for future OpenVMS developments. Or has someone knowledge
> when HP releases a Open JDK 7.0? And yes,
> we know, changing a platform with 25 to 30 year old business algorithms
> written in PASCAL, today integrated with
> Java to form part of a larger web-service server on OpenVMS is not so
> easy. Legacy code has value too, not only
> legacy data!
> Josef

AW: Why does mvn compiile using java 1.3?

Now that Oracle are controlling Java on OSX we can no longer "blame Apple" - I'd love to see the default become Java 7 now.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
Do users often accidentally upgrade major releases of maven without care or thought?

….maybe I shouldn't ask that tho :)

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
+1 even though that would trip up lots if users IMHO.

Given that Jdk 6 will be deprecated in spring it might be a good move

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
Surely the change here is ONLY with the maven-compiler-plugin and
affects what it puts as the --source and --target arguments to javac
when compiler - I don't see why that should affect core?

I admit I'm not really sure how m-c-p relates down into plexus-compiler
and the compiler infrastructure, is javac always run in the same JVM as
the one maven runs under?

Personally - even if one is -targetting- an older JVM they should at
least HAVE the new JVM - runs much faster IMHO.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Ron Wheeler
> <rw...@artifact-software.com> wrote:
>> On 29/11/2012 2:58 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>>> Most serious users of Maven start out by building and releasing a
>>> common parent POM for their corporation or workgroup. This locks down
>>> plugin versions and configures core plugins such as the
>>> maven-compiler-plugin. So the old default to 1.3 was never a very
>>> serious inconvenience, since it's just a line or two as part of the
>>> overall process.
>>>
>>> Please don't even suggest the idea that we'd default Maven to 1.7.
>> It would be good to know what new Maven adopters are intending to use as
>> development platforms.
>> As you correctly point out, the old-timers have already figured out how to
>> set up the version that they want to use.
>>
>>> Taken as a lump, the Java development community is very slow to adopt
>>> new versions of Java, thanks in part to the disfunctions of Sun and
>>> Oracle that occupied the last few years.
>> I would be surprised if a new Maven user would be starting a new project on
>> a version of Java earlier than 7 given that it has been out for so long.
>> I suppose that there are some users who are new to Maven but are converting
>> an old project that has its own history.
>> We stay pretty current but it does take a few months to get the time to
>> switch.
> One of us will certainly be surprised. I know many people who still
> live under a '1.5' policy, and many more who live under a '1.6'
> policy. I don't think I know anyone professionally who is depending on
> 1.7. The slowness of policy, certification, and other bureaucracy is
> not to be underestimated.
You do now.
I am not too surprised actually.

>> Is there any way to find out what new users are using as their Java
>> compilers.
> Remember that many 'new maven users' are porting existing code bases,
> with existing dependencies, and existing customer obligations, to
> maven.
True but I would like to know what the breakdown actually is.
Do we have any idea about the distribution of the people who are
adopting Maven.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 29/11/2012 2:27 PM, Stephen Connolly wrote:
> It was a response to "I am sure that some of the Maven developers
> would like to use some of the new Java features to make the coding
> easier."
>
> For the Maven (core) developers to take advantage of the newer
> features, we would need to up the <source> level we compile core with.
> JavaC will allow <source> less than <target> but not the other way
> around, so if we want to use the newer features in core, we force all
> Maven users to have to run core with a newer version of Maven.
That is what I thought when I made that comment.

> At this point in time I do not see any compelling features in 1.7
> which are worth the difference.
No annotations that strike your fancy?
> If it turns out that a core library we use needs a newer version of
> Java because that core library needed the newer language features,
> then we would have to consider upgrading core to use the newer version
> of that core library.
>
> The only feature in 1.7 that we would benefit from is the try with
> resources... which is not that big a difference. 1.8's lambdas is a
> different story though... but it will likely be a good while before we
> can consider alienating all the pre 1.8 users

It would be interesting to see where the Maven users are WRT to Java
environments.
I can not imagine that most developers are struggling with old hardware
and OSs.
Programmer productivity is usually a big concern and having someone
running a Pentium or old Apple with 512 Mb of memory and trying to run
Eclipse/Netbeans with Maven seems like a horrible way to save $400.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re: Why does mvn compiile using java 1.3?

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
BTW I favour keeping at 1.5. That is the highest version we can guarantee a
user of Maven 3.1.0's JDK can compile at (because in order to run Maven
2.2.1+ you need Java 1.5) so unless they are using toolchains (which to be
honest, given the lack of bugs reported around toolchains and my knowledge
of what kind of bugs we should expect to see reported [xyz plugin doesn't
support toolchains] they are not using) that is a good and sensible default.

If we set the default higher, then a user will download Maven 3.1.0 having
seen it say (all you need is JDK 1.5 or higher) and try and build some code
and bomb out with "-source 1.6 is unknown" and say Maven is shit.

So as I see it. The Core plugins (i.e. the ones hosted at
org.apache.maven.plugins) or maybe the core plugins involved in the default
lifecycles, cannot assume Java higher than the minimum required to run the
Maven version they run on.

Core is still at 1.5. So therefore the highest default the compiler plugin
can consider at this point in time is 1.5.

I will -1 any change to that default above the min required by core unless
somebody gives a compelling argument for the change, and I do not see such
a compelling argument. (I am not saying I will -1 upping the min JDK
required by Maven, just that compiler's default cannot be higher than the
minimum version required by Maven)

-Stephen

On 30 November 2012 15:53, Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
You have been getting 1.5 by default for a long time. At least since the
2.3 release of the compiler plugin..

Posted by Tim Pizey <ti...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aliaksei Lahachou <al...@gmail.com>.
I understand that it's not about making Maven run on 7.

The problem is that people build artifacts on 7 (which will become more
often if it's default) and deploy these artifacts to repository, then
people who are using JDK 6 will not be able to compile with this artifacts
(the target JDK is written somewhere in .class files and older compilers
will refuse to accept them).

Try building a project on JDK 6 which depends on
com.adobe.xmp:xmpcore:5.1.2, it will fail. But the XMP core source can be
built with JDK 5. Whoever uploaded this artifact to Maven central made it
unusable with JDK 5 or 6 simply because he compiled it with JDK 7.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Aliaksei Lahachou <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello everyone,

Posted by Thorsten Heit <th...@vkb.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 29/11/2012 2:14 PM, Mark Derricutt wrote:
> Not "would" but I hazard an argument to say "could", there are subtle
> API -signature- changes that make targetting older bytecode
> problematic, aka from JDK5-6 I believe there were some methods ( class
> escapes me now ) that used to take a String but now take a
> CharSequence, source compatible but runtime-linker incompatible when
> resolving the method.
I have never seen any java application fail just because I run the
version 7 VM. Even really old code still runs.

> If building an older -target IMHO one should always use the toolchains
> plugin or switch the whole VM to ensure the bootclasspath "of the
> compile" uses the appropriate one.

I only use Eclipse to compile but I am able to specify any run-time that
I have installed to compile code even if my Eclipse and Maven run in
Java 7 VM.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Ron,

Posted by Markku Saarela <ma...@iki.fi>.
I was only saying that why organizations are not moving to JDK 7. Lot of
those organizations has policy to use only that JDK also for devepment ,
so you cannot install JDK 7.

I know you can run Maven over Java7 with older projects with some
restrictions.

One is if you project use jasper-reports-plugin  which generates classes
with that Java version which you are running Maven and then fails to use
them because the Java class files are version 51.0  and 50,0 is required
and build fails.

MArkku

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Markku Saarela <ma...@iki.fi>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
+1

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Curtis Rueden <ct...@wisc.edu>.
Hi Ron,

> Good to know that Maven is now only 8 years behind.

I blame Apple.

-Curtis

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@artifact-software.com

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.