Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com> on 2016/10/07 09:16:32 UTC

time series data

I have a project that is looking at doing time series type data.  Basically
we have single value properties that may or may not be present at any one
time and may have different values at different times.  So basically we
could store the start and end timestamp and associate that with triple, but
we want to understand the complexity for queries and such before we start.

My question is, has anyone here done significant time series work?  Are
there any recommendations or suggested readings?  Any assistance would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Claude

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: time series data

Posted by Dave Reynolds <da...@gmail.com>.
On 07/10/16 11:32, Claude Warren wrote:
> So I guess the question is if you want to know say the temp recorded across
> multiple devices at a specific time how hard is it to query.

Easy, find all observations about that time, don't filter on device.

> or if you have devices that quantize time (say 10 minute intervals) and
> someone asks for data at a 15 minute interval can you retrieve the data as
> reported at the earlier 10 min interval (eg. data recorded at 01:10 when
> 01:15 time is requested)

We maintain a "latestValue" link so finding the latest value for each
measurement station is easy. Finding values in a time window is just a
SPARQL range filter. Finding the last reading before some arbitrary time
is harder. I would do a range query wide enough to have at least one
measurement, but not too many, then filter for latest measurement which
is =< the target time.

Dave

Re: time series data

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.