Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Markus Mayer <my...@gmx.at> on 2006/03/16 12:03:21 UTC

[users@httpd] HostnameLookups timeout?

Hi All,

I have a small problem with some reverse lookups for which I hope somebody
here might be able to help me with.

Generally reverse lookups work well, but for some IP addresses the reverse
lookup times out.  With the help of our network admins, I was able to
identify the problem.  It is a name server problem of the ISP from which a
host connects.  For what ever reason, there is no answer from the problem
nameserver.  With HostnameLookups on, and these problem namseservers, apache
waits about 12 minutes before sending any data back to the host that
requested the page.  On a normal Linux and Solaris command line, an nslookup,
host, or dig fails within 10 seconds with a timeout.

To get around this problem, I wanted to configure how long apache waits for a
response, however I have not been able to find such an option.  I also looked
in the source code, but was not able to find where this timeout is set.
Either solution is fine for me, however of course a configuration directive
to set timeouts for HostnameLookups would be much more preferable.  Does any
one know what directive there is to set, of if there is even one?  And if
there's no directive, where in the source code do I look to set this?

All help on this will be greatly appreciated.

greetings from Austria.
Markus