Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2014/10/17 16:23:43 UTC

[Math] Disagreeing about how MATH-1138 has been handled (Was: [math] GitHub vs ASF Repo)

Hi.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:46:53 +0200, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Hi Hank,
>
> Le 16/10/2014 20:20, Hank Grabowski a écrit :
>> OK.  I submitted the pull request yesterday.  I'm going to now
>> remove the
>> diff from JIRA.
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/commons-math/pull/2
>
> Thank you. I have merged this request and pushed the result to our
> main
> repository. The only changes I introduced were fixing end of lines in
> the new Akima spline files (main and test). Perhaps you should check
> the
> git setting core.autocrlf on your side.
>

> It seems to me this pull request did not make it to our dev list. Did
> simply miss it or is there a problem in the GitHub setting since we
> updated our repo? Did someone else see the request? If nobody saw it,
> think we should ask infra to fix the settings.

I didn't see the request.

I also did not see the changes before they were committed.[1]

I have no problem with the principle of dropping broken code; but I
have
one with figuring out when it is okay to do so without notice, ignoring
that care be taken with such changes.

I had suggested to not touch the existing classes and that they should
be first deprecated, and then removed. Since several alternatives for
implementing the functionality were proposed, it would have been
sensible
to have an agreement on how to fit them within the library (for
example:
an abstract base class and concrete subclasses for each kind of
spline).

In CM, we've had, on one hand, small, trivial, changes that generated a
lot of unwarranted heat and stalled for days or weeks. And on the
other,
here is an example where big changes are pushed without a discussion.

When I dare to make a suggestion about something,[2] it means that
I took some time to think about the proposal; the minimum of respect
for this commitment is to acknowledge the existence of such comments
and provide an explanation as to why it is better to not follow the
suggested path:

   http://markmail.org/message/tjengf3t6j3hqyph

[If alternative views are really so different that a compromise cannot
be reached, it is quite simple to count the people who have expressed
their preference from a list of alternatives (as Phil often posts).
In this instance, only I have expressed my preference; hence I do not
understand why something else has been committed.]

My opinion is that we should have created new classes containing the
working implementation(s) of the interpolation, and deprecated but
kept the old ones at least up to release 4.0, advertizing (in the
release notes and in the Javadoc) that they are not working properly
(although they follow  reference "such and such"). [Someone might
have used that window of opportunity to point to the root cause of
the issue.]

So, was there a problem with that approach?

I'm sorry if this naive questioning looks trivial to some of you,
but I'd honestly like to know if this project is team work, and how
it's supposed to work in practice.

I'm also sorry if this rant has been caused by a simple overlook
of the post I'm referring to above. However even if it's the case,
there is a problem.

I hope I'm not being misunderstood[3]: it is great that Hank
could fix CM's spline interpolators.
In this opinion, I'm only concerned with the overall aspect of
contributing to a project that purports to be more that a bunch
of hooks to math functions, and about the design of which people
who have been contributing for some time might have earned (?)
the right to be listened to.[4]

Regards,
Gilles

[1] And I'm also not yet comfortable with looking at large changes
     due to my surely inefficient handling of "git"...
[2] This is already after the self-censorship filter, on issues
     where I know in advance that challenging the adopted view will
     either be ignored or go nowhere... :-}
[3] As is often the case by people who do not carefully read what
     I write in this forum.
[4] Which, I know, is not the same as being heard, and even less
     being agreed with. ;-)

Re: [Math] Disagreeing about how MATH-1138 has been handled (Was: [math] GitHub vs ASF Repo)

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.
Hi all,

Le 17/10/2014 16:23, Gilles a écrit :
> Hi.
>
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:46:53 +0200, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
>> Hi Hank,
>>
>> Le 16/10/2014 20:20, Hank Grabowski a écrit :
>>> OK.  I submitted the pull request yesterday.  I'm going to now remove
>>> the
>>> diff from JIRA.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/apache/commons-math/pull/2
>>
>> Thank you. I have merged this request and pushed the result to our main
>> repository. The only changes I introduced were fixing end of lines in
>> the new Akima spline files (main and test). Perhaps you should check the
>> git setting core.autocrlf on your side.
>>

>> It seems to me this pull request did not make it to our dev list. Did I
>> simply miss it or is there a problem in the GitHub setting since we
>> updated our repo? Did someone else see the request? If nobody saw it, I
>> think we should ask infra to fix the settings.
>>

> I didn't see the request.
>
> I also did not see the changes before they were committed.[1]

I understand this, and in fact I even think it is much easier to check
such changes by looking at actual code from our own development tools
than from GithUb or something else.

So this change should not be taken as some definitive version. We are
using a version control system, and we can always iterate on such
changed. As Hank does not have write access, committing this hopefully
should help deciding on what is needed next. It's a fist version. We
have to go back and forth between discussion and coding. This issue has
already seen a lots of discussion.

> I have no problem with the principle of dropping broken code; but I have
> one with figuring out when it is okay to do so without notice, ignoring
> that care be taken with such changes.

It is fine to me.

> I had suggested to not touch the existing classes and that they should
> be first deprecated, and then removed. Since several alternatives for
> implementing the functionality were proposed, it would have been sensible
> to have an agreement on how to fit them within the library (for example:
> an abstract base class and concrete subclasses for each kind of spline).
>
> In CM, we've had, on one hand, small, trivial, changes that generated a
> lot of unwarranted heat and stalled for days or weeks. And on the other,
> here is an example where big changes are pushed without a discussion.

It *is* part of discussion. Frankly, It seemed a waste of time to have
several people not accustomed to Git try to read this from GitHub and
import it in their own setup. I have done this for everyone else, and we
can review here.

> When I dare to make a suggestion about something,[2] it means that
> I took some time to think about the proposal; the minimum of respect
> for this commitment is to acknowledge the existence of such comments
> and provide an explanation as to why it is better to not follow the
> suggested path:
>
>   http://markmail.org/message/tjengf3t6j3hqyph
>
> [If alternative views are really so different that a compromise cannot
> be reached, it is quite simple to count the people who have expressed
> their preference from a list of alternatives (as Phil often posts).
> In this instance, only I have expressed my preference; hence I do not
> understand why something else has been committed.]

The reason is I think I am the only one to have minimal Git knowledge
for now here.

> My opinion is that we should have created new classes containing the
> working implementation(s) of the interpolation, and deprecated but
> kept the old ones at least up to release 4.0, advertizing (in the
> release notes and in the Javadoc) that they are not working properly
> (although they follow  reference "such and such"). [Someone might
> have used that window of opportunity to point to the root cause of
> the issue.]
>
> So, was there a problem with that approach?

No problem at all.

> I'm sorry if this naive questioning looks trivial to some of you,
> but I'd honestly like to know if this project is team work, and how
> it's supposed to work in practice.

It is team work, and your message proves it: there are several opinions
and the final release is the sum of all. The version control system is
*not* a final immutable thing, it is a moving thing, with experiments.

Once everybody is fluent with Git, we will even be able to use more
elaborate things. Branches would be great for such feature changes, but
I think it is too early to use them for now.

best regards,
Luc

Posted by Hank Grabowski <ha...@applieddefense.com>.
OK.  If you want to put the "trivial modifications" that are required so
the code is "on par with what we had usually committed as new
contributions" in the JIRA incident, I can try to address them this week as
well.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.

Posted by Hank Grabowski <ha...@applieddefense.com>.

Posted by Hank Grabowski <ha...@applieddefense.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hi Hank.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 11:31:26 -0400, Hank Grabowski wrote:
> Gilles,
>
> This is the original changes to get the bicubic spline working. These
> were
> originally committed as a diff that was attached to the JIRA
> incident.  The
> suggestions in your email were in response to my questions about work
> carrying forward from that point.
>
> I have been very explicit and verbose on what I was doing throughput
> the
> development of those upgrades, both within the JIRA incident and
> within the
> forums.  I attempted to incorporate all the comments that I received.
> submitted my code in a way that could have been reviewed.  If that
> isn't
> clear then I apologize, however I don't appreciate the connotation
> that
> these changes were done willy nilly or in a rogue fashion.

I can assure you that there was absolutely no such connotation.
The heat was not directed at you.
It was only the result of my being surprised by a totally _novel_ way
include code from new contributors. Luc has described what has been
going
on, and it might well be a good way, but I've been surprised that this
all
happened without adorning comments.

For an example of how I used to work with a contributor, please have a
quick look at
and
   http://markmail.org/message/3uwilnca3bctcujc

I was thinking we were in a similar situation.
It seems we are not, because the tool has changed.

I still have to get used to it. It would help if I could read
explanations
about the new way, and how it came about due to using git, and how to
use
git to review code made by others (using branches, and I don't know
what
not) while working on unrelated issues and making my own modifications
in
my local copy...

Regards,
Gilles