Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Mi...@emc.com on 2012/04/03 20:27:10 UTC

Re: [RESULT] - [VOTE] Rename hadoop branches post hadoop-1.x

Arun,

I am even more confused now than I was before:

Here you say:

> Essentially 'trunk' is where incompatible changes *may* be committed (in
>future). We should allow for that.

On another thread, responding to Avner (re: MAPREDUCE-4049?) you say,

> We do expect 'new features' to make it to trunk before we can commit to
>either branch-1 or branch-2.

Which one is it ?

Do you expect that "new features" will always remain compatible ?

- Milind

---
Milind Bhandarkar
Greenplum Labs, EMC
(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author, and
do not necessarily represent the views of any organization, past or
present, the author might be affiliated with.)

Re: [RESULT] - [VOTE] Rename hadoop branches post hadoop-1.x

Posted by Mi...@emc.com.
Great !

Thanks @atm,

- milind

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
If that's the case then there doesn't seem to be any question here. The
feature is in trunk, and an implementation could be done for an older
release branch that would be compatible with that branch. Sure, the code to

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM, <Mi...@emc.com> wrote:

> What would be guideline for a new feature, such as
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-4049, which maintains
> compatibility for 1.x, but is not relevant to trunk, because the codebases
> have completely diverged, so cannot be committed to trunk ?

Are you sure this isn't relevant to trunk? The "target versions" field of
that JIRA lists both 1.0.x and 0.24.0 (trunk.) In the latest comment on
that JIRA, the author appears to intend to do this work for both trunk and
1.0:

"I want to have the described plugin-ability (desired with same interface)
for all future versions of Hadoop (as mentioned in the Target Version/s
field). <snip> On the first phase, I am focusing on the existing 1.0 branch
as I know it. In parallel, I'll try to learn what exists in 0.23"

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: [RESULT] - [VOTE] Rename hadoop branches post hadoop-1.x

Posted by Mi...@emc.com.
Thanks ATM.

I guess the "*may*" emphasis confused me.

Just to get some more clarity:

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Milind,

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.