Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Gregory Matthews <gr...@iwebtips.com> on 2002/05/18 19:59:03 UTC

Apache::DBI

Hello again:

I figured out my Apache::DB problem with the help from Stas Bekman. Thanks!

Now on to Apache::DBI.

The documentation says NOT to use this module IF you are opening a special
connection for each of your users.

Does this mean if each user has to use a unique username/password to OPEN
the database? My prog will use the same database:username:password for all
connection requests opened with a "db_connect($database,$user,$password)"
call, however, each user will have his/her own unique file/table within
this database which requires a unique username/password to access.

I am assuming that this means I CAN use the Apache::DBI module.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Gregory

Re: Apache::DBI

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
Gregory Matthews wrote:
> Yes, my prog checks for valid username/password requests and issues the
> proper response. So it sounds like Apache::DBI is a good solution then
> since all users will be working under the same handle?

Yes, that's correct.

Re: Apache::DBI

Posted by Gregory Matthews <gr...@iwebtips.com>.
Perrin:

Re: Apache::DBI

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
Gregory Matthews wrote:
> Does this mean if each user has to use a unique username/password to
> OPEN the database?

Yes, eaxctly.

Re: Apache::DBI

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 19:59 18.05.2002, Gregory Matthews wrote:
>Hello again:
>
>I figured out my Apache::DB problem with the help from Stas Bekman. Thanks!
>
>Now on to Apache::DBI.
>
>The documentation says NOT to use this module IF you are opening a special
>connection for each of your users.
>
>Does this mean if each user has to use a unique username/password to OPEN
>the database? My prog will use the same database:username:password for all
>connection requests opened with a "db_connect($database,$user,$password)"
>call, however, each user will have his/her own unique file/table within
>this database which requires a unique username/password to access.
>
>I am assuming that this means I CAN use the Apache::DBI module.

Yes.

Apache::DBI refers to "user" as the $user variable you mentioned. For
example, if there was something equivalent to what phpMyAdmin does under
PHP, that would not be a good idea for using Apache::DBI

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be