Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Dean Hiller <dh...@avaya.com> on 2001/12/01 19:53:38 UTC

knowledge of broken build...

Hello,
2 questions....
1.    Where do I find the e-mail archives?  Looking around to see if we can schedule nightly builds.

2.   Is there any way for javac task to spit out the files that broke the build?  I am planning on setting this up so it looks in source control and does a history on those files and e-mails EVERYBODY the list of potential build breakers.  That should really get people in line here.  I just have to add to the history task for VSS.
thanks,
Dean

Re: knowledge of broken build...

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 01 Dec 2001, Dean Hiller <dh...@avaya.com> wrote:

> 1.  Where do I find the e-mail archives?

There are links in the feedback section of Ant's manual and at the top
of <http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail2.html>.  I'd recommend Marc.

> 2.  Is there any way for javac task to spit out the files that broke
> the build?

This is rather difficult as different compilers use different error
messages.

Also, the compilation of a file can fail because a different file has
changed (changed the signature of a method the first one depends upon
and many different scenarios).

A much better way is to identify the code change that broke your
build.  Cruisecontrol does so as it will try to build your project
after each checkin/commit, so you will immediately know if something
goes wrong.  The Jakarta Alexandria project contains a "blamer" that
tries to identify who committed the problematic new version at a
greater granularity in time.

Stefan

Re: knowledge of broken build...

Posted by T Master <tm...@iknowledgeinc.com>.
Get People In Line?

I have a baseball bat....made of Hard FOAM.   After all, i am a
humanitarian!

*smirk*

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Look into CruiseControl - http://cruisecontrol.sourceforge.net/

It does all of the things you are asking about.

    Erik