Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2011/06/18 19:43:48 UTC

RE: User facing web items - IP concerns

My nosing around so far leads me to believe that this is like the response to the Facebook "relationship" question: "It's complicated."  Until Facebook, I had no idea how many people said that about their relationships.

Some sites have explicit CC-share-alike content, some have code that is apparently derivative of the OpenOffice.org LGPL3 base, and Sun/Oracle made a mess of the licensing used on and around the openoffice.org site, including a terms of use that defaults a permissive license that apparently not many people had ever seen or knew existed.

I signed up on the wiki.services.openoffice.org wiki just the other day and I saw no indication of the terms of use, just the lame wiki copyright page.

In addition, as Jean Weber points out, the on-line user documentation does have explicit copyright notices.

Hmm, I haven't nosed into the forums.  Or the bugzilla either.  Well, it's complicated.

 - Dennis

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
In general, everyone should be familiar with this page, which
describes which licenses may be used in Apache projects:

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

There is a list of licenses which are compatible, another list that is
not compatible.  If we find something that is outside either of those
lists, we should seek advice from Apache Legal Affairs.

-Rob

Posted by C <sm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Thurgood <al...@gmail.com>.
Le 18/06/11 19:43, Dennis E. Hamilton a écrit :

Hi Dennis,

> My nosing around so far leads me to believe that this is like the response to the Facebook "relationship" question: "It's complicated."  Until Facebook, I had no idea how many people said that about their relationships.
>
> Some sites have explicit CC-share-alike content, some have code that is apparently derivative of the OpenOffice.org LGPL3 base, and Sun/Oracle made a mess of the licensing used on and around the openoffice.org site, including a terms of use that defaults a permissive license that apparently not many people had ever seen or knew existed.
>
> I signed up on the wiki.services.openoffice.org wiki just the other day and I saw no indication of the terms of use, just the lame wiki copyright page.
>
> In addition, as Jean Weber points out, the on-line user documentation does have explicit copyright notices.
>
> Hmm, I haven't nosed into the forums.  Or the bugzilla either.  Well, it's complicated.

You have a point. I know that on the OOo French native language project,
for example, documents have been published in the past under the Gnu
Public Documentation Licence (PDL), the Free Documentation Licence, and
I think also various shades of CC.

Alex