Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Nicolas Paris <ni...@riseup.net> on 2019/10/15 22:47:47 UTC

Document Update performances Improvement

Hi

I am looking for a way to faster the update of documents.

In my context, the update replaces one of the many existing indexed
fields, and keep the others as is.

Right now, I am building the whole document, and replacing the existing
one by id.

I am wondering if **atomic update feature** would faster the process.

From one hand, using this feature would save network because only a
small subset of the document would be send from the client to the
server.
On the other hand, the server will have to collect the values from the
disk and reindex them. In addition, this implies to store the values for
every fields (I am not storing every fields) and use more space.

Also I have read about the ConcurrentUpdateSolrServer class might be an
optimized way of updating documents.

I am using spark-solr library to deal with solr-cloud. If something
exist to faster the process, I would be glad to implement it in that
library.
Also, I have split the collection over multiple shard, and I admit this
faster the update process, but who knows ?

Thoughts ?

--
nicolas

Re: Document Update performances Improvement

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.
Well coalesce does require shuffle and network, however in most cases it is less than repartition as it moves the data (through the network) to already existing executors.
However as you see and others confirm: for high peformance you don’t need high parallelism on the ingestion side, but you can load the data in batches with a low parallelism. Tuning with some parameters (commit interval, merge segment size) can, but only if needed, deliver even more performance. If you then still need more performance you can increase the number of Solr nodes and shards.

Posted by Nicolas Paris <ni...@riseup.net>.

Posted by Nicolas Paris <ni...@riseup.net>.
> Set the first two to the same number, and the third to a minumum of three
> times what you set the other two.
> When I built a Solr setup, I increased maxMergeAtOnce and segmentsPerTier to
> 35, and maxMergeAtOnceExplicit to 105.  This made merging happen a lot less
> frequently.

Good to know the chief recipes.

> On the Solr side, atomic updates will be slightly slower than indexing the
> whole document provided to Solr.

This makes sense.

> If Solr can access the previous document faster than you can get the
> document from your source system, then atomic updates might be faster.

The documents are stored within parquet files without any processing
needed. In this case, the atomic update is not likely to faster things.

Thanks

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
My first question is always “what’s the bottleneck”? Unless you’re driving your CPUs and/or I/O hard on Solr, the bottleneck is in the acquisition of the docs not on the Solr side.

Also, be sure and batch in groups of at least 10x the number of shards, see: https://lucidworks.com/post/really-batch-updates-solr-2/

Although it sounds like you’ve figured this out already…. And yeah, I’ve seen Solr indexing degrade when it’s being overwhelmed, so that might be the total issue.

Best,
Erick

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Nicolas Paris <ni...@riseup.net>.
> <https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/indexconfig-in-solrconfig.html#merge-factors>.
> <https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/updatehandlers-in-solrconfig.html#UpdateHandlersinSolrConfig-autoCommit>

Thanks for those relevant pointers and the explanation.

> How often do you commit? Are you committing after each XML is
> indexed? If yes, what is your batch (XML) size? Review default settings of
> autoCommit and considering increasing it.

I guess I do not use any XML under the hood: spark-solr uses sorlj which
serialize the document in java binary objects. However the commit
strategy applies too, I have setup 20,000 documents or 20,000 ms.

> Do you want real time reflection
> of updates? If no, you can compromise on commits and merge factors and do
> faster indexing. Don't so soft commits then.

Indeed I d'like the document be accessible sooner. That being said, 5
minutes delay is acceptable.

> In our case, I have set autoCommit to commit after 50,000 documents are
> indexed. After EdgeNGrams tokenization, while full indexing, we have seen
> index to get over 60 GBs. Once we are done with full indexing, I optimize
> the index and the index size comes below 13 GB!

I guess I get the idea: "put the dollars as fast as possible in the bag,
we will clean-up when back home"

Thanks

Posted by Paras Lehana <pa...@indiamart.com>.
Hi Nicolas,