Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by ashokc <as...@qualcomm.com> on 2009/06/01 18:41:47 UTC

Highlighting and Field options

Hi,

The 'content' field that I am indexing is usually large (e.g. a pdf doc of a
few Mb in size). I need highlighting to be on. This 'seems' to require that
I have to set the 'content' field to be STORED. This returns the whole
content field in the search result XML. for each matching document. The
highlighted text also is returned in a separate block. But I do NOT need the
entire content field to display the search results. I only use the
highlighted segments to display a brief description of each hit. The fact
that SOLR returns entire content field, makes the returned XML unnecessarily
huge, and makes for larger response times. How can I have SOLR return ONLY
the highlighted text for each hit and NOT the entire 'content' filed? Thanks
- ashok

Re: Highlighting and Field options

Posted by Jay Hill <ja...@gmail.com>.
Use the fl param to ask for only the fields you need, but also keep hl=true.
Something like this:

http://localhost:8080/solr/select/?q=bear&version=2.2&start=0&rows=10&indent=on&hl=true&fl=id

Note that &fl=id means the only field returned in the XML will be the id
field.

Highlights are still returned in the "highlight" element, but you won't get
back the unneeded content field.

-Jay