Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net> on 2004/11/23 04:58:57 UTC

[BUILD SYSTEM] New eclipse-customized-project task

Hi:

I wrote a new task for the Cocoon build system. The new task build the
eclipse project files only for the blocks included in
[local.]blocks.properties.

The new task also only include the optional libraries based on the user
choosed blocks.

The motivation was: my computer has only 768 MB of RAM and trying to debug
or do whatever with cocoon in eclipse takes long time. Tired of waiting
long time while eclipse do whatever and almost stall, I decided to write
this new task or I will end crazy.

Results:
1-A noticeable improvement in eclipse. :-DD
2-Less code to see.
3-Faster compiler time.

Internals:

The task is new. It does not change other tasks.

Future improvements:

1-Use build.properties as well to avoid inclusion of deprecated stuff or
samples if not needed.

Can I commit this task? WDYT?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [BUILD SYSTEM] New eclipse-customized-project task

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Especially if you build Cocoon from the command line, then have
>> eclipse point to the WEB-INF/classes folder. Things can otherwise get
>> messy...
>

> This can already be done by setting a property in
> local.build.propertries. See the "ide" section.

Yes, I know. I tend to do it using the Eclipse GUI. What I was referring
to is when the build system just builds selected blocks, and Eclipse
builds the lot, I've found the webapp can get confused. Having both in
sync is a good idea. That's all.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: [BUILD SYSTEM] New eclipse-customized-project task

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Especially if you build Cocoon from the command line, then have
>> eclipse point to the WEB-INF/classes folder. Things can otherwise get
>> messy...
>

> This can already be done by setting a property in
> local.build.propertries. See the "ide" section.

Is eclipse using the classes then or performs project rebuild anyway ?

Re: [BUILD SYSTEM] New eclipse-customized-project task

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

--
Reinhard

Re: [BUILD SYSTEM] New eclipse-customized-project task

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I wrote a new task for the Cocoon build system. The new task build the
>eclipse project files only for the blocks included in
>[local.]blocks.properties.
>
>The new task also only include the optional libraries based on the user
>choosed blocks.
>
>The motivation was: my computer has only 768 MB of RAM and trying to debug
>or do whatever with cocoon in eclipse takes long time. Tired of waiting
>long time while eclipse do whatever and almost stall, I decided to write
>this new task or I will end crazy.
>
>Results:
>1-A noticeable improvement in eclipse. :-DD
>2-Less code to see.
>3-Faster compiler time.
>
>Internals:
>
>The task is new. It does not change other tasks.
>
>Future improvements:
>
>1-Use build.properties as well to avoid inclusion of deprecated stuff or
>samples if not needed.
>
>Can I commit this task? WDYT?

Sounds very useful. I've often wondered about this. However, wouldn't it
make sense to make this the default 'eclipse-project' target? After all,
this is what that target _should_ be doing.

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I wrote a new task for the Cocoon build system. The new task build the
> eclipse project files only for the blocks included in
> [local.]blocks.properties.
>
> The new task also only include the optional libraries based on the user
> choosed blocks.
>
> The motivation was: my computer has only 768 MB of RAM and trying to debug
> or do whatever with cocoon in eclipse takes long time. Tired of waiting
> long time while eclipse do whatever and almost stall, I decided to write
> this new task or I will end crazy.
>
> Results:
> 1-A noticeable improvement in eclipse. :-DD
> 2-Less code to see.
> 3-Faster compiler time.
>
> Internals:
>
> The task is new. It does not change other tasks.
>
> Future improvements:
>
> 1-Use build.properties as well to avoid inclusion of deprecated stuff or
> samples if not needed.
>
> Can I commit this task? WDYT?
I say go for it. Having to rebuild full cocoon in eclipse on laptop with
4200RPM allows not only to have a coffee but a full featured dinner :)

Re: [BUILD SYSTEM] New eclipse-customized-project task

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I wrote a new task for the Cocoon build system. The new task build the
> eclipse project files only for the blocks included in
> [local.]blocks.properties.
>
> The new task also only include the optional libraries based on the user
> choosed blocks.
>
> The motivation was: my computer has only 768 MB of RAM and trying to debug
> or do whatever with cocoon in eclipse takes long time. Tired of waiting
> long time while eclipse do whatever and almost stall, I decided to write
> this new task or I will end crazy.
>
> Results:
> 1-A noticeable improvement in eclipse. :-DD
> 2-Less code to see.
> 3-Faster compiler time.
>
> Internals:
>
> The task is new. It does not change other tasks.
>
> Future improvements:
>
> 1-Use build.properties as well to avoid inclusion of deprecated stuff or
> samples if not needed.
>
> Can I commit this task? WDYT?

Go for it, you don't have to ask!

I would also be happy if you can also review whiteboard/block-builder because I
want to make it the default for Cocoon 2.2. Saying this, I'm writing a proposal
about the future of Cocoon where I will elaborate more on this (and other things).

--
Reinhard

Re: [BUILD SYSTEM] New eclipse-customized-project task

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I wrote a new task for the Cocoon build system. The new task build the
>eclipse project files only for the blocks included in
>[local.]blocks.properties.

Nice! Please commit it.

--
Unico

Re: [BUILD SYSTEM] New eclipse-customized-project task

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
On Mie, 1 de Diciembre de 2004, 14:14, Leszek Gawron dijo:
> Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>>>Do you mind if I commit the sync myself? I need the feature badly on my
>>>laptop (4200RPM HDD + eclipse + cocoon build = total PITA).
>>

>> You are welcome! Please do that! I am very busy now. :(
> done. I have also fixed a small cross-platform bug.

Thanks! :-D

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Hi:

Thanks all for the feedback. The task is already committed. :-)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Antonio Gallardo dijo:

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Can I commit this task? WDYT?

+0: Not an eclipse user myself, but I hear your pain :)

Vadim