Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de> on 2013/10/11 22:26:38 UTC

Re: [BeanUtils] Next release WAS [VOTE] Move Apache Commons to Git for SCM...

Am 11.10.2013 22:01, schrieb Benedikt Ritter:

>>> I agree that the release process is certainly a problem; but the big
>> problem IMO is just too many components for too few really active
>> committers.  Once we actually have something ready to release, we have
>> generally been able to fumble our way through the process.  The problem is
>> getting there.
>>>
>>> I think the best thing we can do is focus on getting some things ready
>> for release.  I will help on pool, DBCP, math.  I won't rob Mark of the
>> oppty to rm pool2, but will help ;). All are welcome to join the fun
>> cleaning up the docs and other loose ends on that and then dbcp2.
>>>
>>> Who wants to step up to drive some other things  to release?
>> I plan to prepare a release of BeanUtils soon.
>>

> Good to hear. There is a lot to do. I started generification a while back.
> If you like you can join #asfcommons and we can have a talk about BU.

I did not look into the open issues so far. I would rather take a more
minimalistic approach, i.e. pushing out version 1.9 with what is
currently there and then put more energy in BeanUtils2.

Oliver

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Am 13.10.2013 22:08, schrieb Benedikt Ritter:
> 2013/10/13 Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>

>> too

>> problem

>> ready
>> the

>>> I looked through most issues. There were three categories:
>>> - issues I was unable to fix
>>> - issues I was unable to reproduce
>>> - issues I was unable to understand because they were written in some
>>> strange asian-english mixture
>>>
>>> But we can have another iteration and talk about the things.
>>> Generics can be removed if you want to do a minimal release.
>> It is certainly annoying to have all these generics warnings in the
>> code, especially if there are already some classes that have been
>> adapted. Do you remember roughly how many classes you did rework when
>> you started with generification?
>>

> None, I just changes the language level. I wanted to review all open issues
> before starting with the generification, because the changes all over the
> place will make appling patches very difficult. I think it was Sebb who
> started, before I told him my intention.
>

>> I guess I will start an attempt to generify some classes and see how far
>> this gets and how easy or complicated it is. Then we can decide whether
>> we use generics or not.
>

> IMHO another release of BU1 should have generics. If it is to difficult we
> should better invest the time to work on BU2.

Yes, I also prefer having generics.

However, there is a dependency of [configuration] 2.0 and a new feature
of BU, so I really need to push out a release.

Oliver

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter

Re: [BeanUtils] Next release WAS [VOTE] Move Apache Commons to Git for SCM...

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.