Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Kraus, Niki" <Ni...@3beg.at> on 2004/06/14 06:46:21 UTC

content of a tarball contains a bad file name

Dear developers,

I've seen that the current content of a tarball
(orca-snapshot-r332.tar.bz2) contains a HACKING file. Pls
consider that this might cause more and more problems in the future
due to more restrictive security policies in the IT world. If someone
wants to download it and like in our case the companies filter
software (Aladdins eSafe) checks the tarball during the download, it
stopps after 2/3 - which was wondering me. Of course it's not a bad
signature, but only the word "hacking".

The orca developer Blair Zajac [blair@orcaware.com] gave me
the hint to tell you this situation.

Kind regards,
Nick
--
3 Banken EDV
Netzwerktechnik

Re: content of a tarball contains a bad file name

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Kraus, Niki" <Ni...@3beg.at> writes:
> I've seen that the current content of a tarball
> (orca-snapshot-r332.tar.bz2) contains a HACKING file. Pls
> consider that this might cause more and more problems in the future
> due to more restrictive security policies in the IT world. If someone
> wants to download it and like in our case the companies filter
> software (Aladdins eSafe) checks the tarball during the download, it
> stopps after 2/3 - which was wondering me. Of course it's not a bad
> signature, but only the word "hacking".
>
> The orca developer Blair Zajac [blair@orcaware.com] gave me
> the hint to tell you this situation.

Yes, and at airports they should also stop anyone with "BOMB" written
on their luggage... :-)

This is the first time we've heard of this problem, so I'd like not to
change it just because of one incident.  If it causes a widespread
problem, that might be different... though the word "hacking" really
does have an entirely innocent meaning, with a long history behind it,
and it would be a pity to give that up.

-Karl