Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Kevin Lyda <ke...@ie.suberic.net> on 2014/08/25 13:09:38 UTC

Mesos deployment on GCE

I was playing with the Mesosphere deployment on GCE
(https://google.mesosphere.io/) and it's a rather nifty way to spin up
a cluster. However I don't see the code they use to do this.

The version it spins up appears to lack docker integration which is
what I've been using. It would be nice to spin up dev clusters that
use that. I'm guessing the Mesosphere scripts will remain closed
(which is fine) but I'm wondering if people have any scripts they use
to spin up dev clusters on GCE?

Cost-wise it seems a bit better than getting a bunch of machines for home.

Kevin

--
Kevin Lyda
Galway, Ireland

Re: Mesos deployment on GCE

Posted by Kevin Lyda <ke...@ie.suberic.net>.
On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Timothy Chen <tn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It does uses mesos 0.20.0 which have the docker integration as well with docker pre installed too.

I noticed mesos 0.20.0, but when I ssh'd into the box, there wasn't a
docker executable in my path. I assumed that meant no docker, but that
assumption isn't on very solid ground. This was as both the jcloud
user and as root.

I was just trying it out quickly to see how it worked.  I'll try
poking more at it next week when I'll have the time.

> Did it not work for you? And what did you try?

The cluster came up fine.  But it would be nice to have the option to
give it different mesos packages (for testing new builds) and other
customisations. But to be fair that can be done once it's running as
well. The openvpn setup was pretty nice; liked that.

Kevin

Re: Mesos deployment on GCE

Posted by Timothy Chen <tn...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kevin,

It does uses mesos 0.20.0 which have the docker integration as well with docker pre installed too.

Did it not work for you? And what did you try?

Tim