Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Peter Weber <pe...@garaio.com> on 2010/10/01 12:12:48 UTC

RE: Font mapping for AFP Output

Hi Peter,

Thank You very much for Your answer.
It took some time to proof all of your tipps.

First off, what version of FOP are you using?  This will have some
baring on what support there will be available for you.

-> I'm using the new Version of FOP 1.0
-> It should provide better support for AFP than older versions

Have you taken a look at the FOP docs or the wiki?
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/output.html#afp-font-config
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/AFPFonts

-> Yes I have... my biggest problem seems to be the understanding of configuring custom GCUID fonts.

There are a few problems i can spot with your config.   Most notably,
the afp-raster-font@characterset should refer to the actual character
data for the custom font you want to embed and that you have made
available to FOP - you are instead referencing IBM base fonts that
should be available in  any AFP environments (Print servers or
viewers) that you are using.

-> On http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/globalization/codepages.html I found codepages for OCR-B Font.
-> FOP tells me, it can't find any of them:
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException: Failed to load the character set metrics CZJHMNU with code page T1000893. I/O error: Resource not found: T1000893
-> Of course, the used character set isn't correct, but how do I find the right one?
-> I'm not sure but it seems to me, these codepages aren't available to FOP...?
-> I cannot imagine IBM printers, also AFP Output of FOP, can live without the OCR font. It is essential for bills and other OCR issues.

The font-triplet element configures how you can reference the font in your .fo document.

-> this is one of the only things I understood till now :)

I am guessing that
the AFP you generate, whilst referencing ocrb[10], actually results in
the default Times Roman font.

-> Yes, this is true... my snippet was not optimal. I had to post anything to illustrate where I stand.

To resolve this you need to first determine what kind of font you have
(outline (.OLN), raster- this usually comes with a collection of files
for different sizes and styles).  This may not be that obvious to you
and I have had trouble myself doing the same thing.  I have resorted
to using and AFP binary reader to determine this - maybe some other
AFP FOP users have some better instructions for you on this subject.

-> Under the following link You can find the font I need to embed: http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/software/ocrb-complete.zip
-> It contains multiple formats. AFM, PFB, TTF and PFM

Another approach was to refer to the directory with the OCR fonts:

	<afp-font type="CIDKeyed" characterset="CZJHMNU" codepage="T1000893" encoding="UnicodeBigUnmarked" base-uri="file:///D:/Labor/REM/REM_Reporting/fop-1.0/ocrb-full/" />

The same problem here is the absence of the codepage 'T1000893' or 'T1000877'.
What is the correct codepage for OCR-B?
How do I find correct characterset? Or how do I build the correct characterset-reference string using these tables?
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/resources/systems_i_software_globalization_pdf_cp00877z.pdf

What is the meaning of the letters in the string for charactersets? CZJHMNU
This isn't a HEX value...

It would be very great to get this working and I really appreciate any help I could get.

Thanks in advice
Peter

First off, what version of FOP are you using?  This will have some
baring on what support there will be available for you.

Have you taken a look at the FOP docs or the wiki?
 http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/output.html#afp-font-config
http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics-fop/AFPFonts

There are a few problems i can spot with your config.   Most notably,
the afp-raster-font@characterset should refer to the actual character
data for the custom font you want to embed and that you have made
available to FOP (see base element in
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/configuration.html#general or
afp-font@base-uri) - you are instead referencing IBM base fonts that
should be available in  any AFP environments (Print servers or
viewers) that you are using.  The font-triplet element configures how
you can reference the font in your .fo document.  I am guessing that
the AFP you generate, whilst referencing ocrb[10], actually results in
the default Times Roman font.

To resolve this you need to first determine what kind of font you have
(outline (.OLN), raster- this usually comes with a collection of files
for different sizes and styles).  This may not be that obvious to you
and I have had trouble myself doing the same thing.  I have resorted
to using and AFP binary reader to determine this - maybe some other
AFP FOP users have some better instructions for you on this subject.

Once you know the font refer to the the FOP docs for the relevant
configuration and reply to this thread if troubles persist.

I hope I have been of some help.

Peter Hancock