Posted to user@metron.apache.org by Vladimir Shlyakhtin <Vl...@sstech.us> on 2018/03/07 16:30:10 UTC

Capture PCAP data from multiple sources

Hello,

What is good practice to capture data from multiple sources to avoid duplication of packets.
I mean if we have multiple network points (e.g. routers) and capture data from every of these points how to avoid duplication of packets.
According to Metron' PCAP docs PCAP topology just stores data from Kafka topic to HDFS.
Is it possible to detects and skip duplicates, stitch packets and do other processing?
Or the best way to do it in the beginning (send only unique packets) to Kafka or in post-processing.

Thank you

Regards,
- Vladimir

RE: Capture PCAP data from multiple sources

Posted by Vladimir Shlyakhtin <Vl...@sstech.us>.
No, we are just researching for now and trying to understand capabilities, requirements and limitation for capturing network data.
From my understanding there is no one universal solution and this is something that needs network administrator assistance.

Thanks

Regards,
- Vladimir

Re: Capture PCAP data from multiple sources

Posted by "Zeolla@GMail.com" <ze...@gmail.com>.

--

Jon