Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vy Ho <st...@drexel.edu> on 2004/11/23 17:40:19 UTC

Unnable to redeploy an axis web app

I am sorry that this is a cross post from Axis list.  However, I think I
this maybe more appropriate place to ask, since people here may know
more about application redeployment and frequent problems associated
with it.

What I have is an Axis web application, I want to undeploy it, then
redeploy the application.  When I redeploy the application, I get an
error.  Is this a known problem with Axis?  Is there a way to go around
this?  Or it's the way I do it (wrongly).  Here's the error:

- Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
already.  Could not load
META-INF/services/org.apache.axis.EngineConfigurationFactory.  The
eventual following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for
debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which
caused the illegal access, and has no functional impact.

- Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
already.  Could not load
org/apache/axis/configuration/EngineConfigurationFactoryServlet.class.
The eventual following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for
debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which
caused the illegal access, and has no functional impact.

- Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped
already.  Could not load
org.apache.axis.configuration.EngineConfigurationFactoryServlet.  The
eventual following stack trace is caused by an error thrown for
debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which
caused the illegal access, and has no functional impact.

- StandardWrapper.Throwable
java.lang.ThreadDeath
   at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1221)

   at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1181)

   at
org.apache.commons.discovery.ResourceClass$1.run(ResourceClass.java:77)
   at
org.apache.commons.discovery.ResourceClass.loadClass(ResourceClass.java:73)
   at
org.apache.axis.configuration.EngineConfigurationFactoryFinder$1.run(EngineConfigurationFactoryFinder.java:122)

   at
org.apache.axis.configuration.EngineConfigurationFactoryFinder.newFactory(EngineConfigurationFactoryFinder.java:113)

   at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServletBase.getEngineEnvironment(AxisServletBase.java:247)

   at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServletBase.getEngine(AxisServletBase.java:170)

   at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServletBase.getOption(AxisServletBase.java:370)

   at
org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServletBase.init(AxisServletBase.java:110)

   at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:211)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1053)

   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:886)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:3817)

   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4079)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:755)

   at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:525)

- Servlet /axis threw load() exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for servlet AdminServlet
threw exception
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1095)

   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:886)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:3817)

   at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4079)
   at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:755)

   at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:525)

I try to move all Axis library from /WEB-INF/lib to outside, and add to
class path (so that maybe class loading would not be a problem), but
this still happens.

Re: Unnable to redeploy an axis web app

Posted by Vy Ho <st...@drexel.edu>.
This is really strange.  With standalone version, and identical webapp
(and same log4j's property file) to the embedded version.  Mostly the
same preloaded libraries.  For the webapp's libraries, they're the
same.  It's a copy and pasted over.  However, the standalone can stop
and start the app fine without a problem.  In my embedded version, the
start and stop code using the same mechanism with the manager servlet.
However, it generates the exception above.  Here's my observations and
questions:

1) I actually could call start() on the context without exception.
Checking for available (getAvailable()) also returns true.  However, the
exception I shown before got printed.

2) When calling stop() on the context, or on the Embedded instance, it
returns right away, not blocking until all done in Windows, under Linux,
it seems to block.  How to make this consistent on both?

3) After stop() and start() again, I go to the Happy Axis page, which do
the validation of Axis installation.  It actually shows that everything
went well.  However, when I click on AxisServlet (view's link in the
axis's page), the same exception was generated and shown on the web browser.

This indicates that the web app actually started fine.  However, just
that servlet was not initialized/loaded successfully.  This is indicated
by "ThreadDeath" exception.  The question is what makes the standalone
work and my does not. There's no context configuration on the server.xml
file for the standalone.  For the embedded, I don't do anything special
for the context other than initializing and starting the webapp folder.

Re: Unnable to redeploy an axis web app

Posted by Vy Ho <st...@drexel.edu>.
I have some luck out of this.  The problem happens with the Admin
Servlet, not AxisServlet.  So, what I did was disabled this
AdminServlet, and I am back to business for now.

Re: Unnable to redeploy an axis web app

Posted by Vy Ho <st...@drexel.edu>.
Hi,

I am using Axis 1.2.  I am not sure how that thing get there.  It's
probably something to do with the log4j thing.  I use Tomcat 5.5.4.
Please look at my reply to deepak shripat mane's message for more
information.

Thanks,

vh.

Posted by sven morales <ak...@yahoo.com>.