Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by "Pugh, Eric" <EP...@MuseumCompany.com> on 2001/09/26 16:52:55 UTC

Build Torque fails...

Hi,

I am trying to run the torque ant task sql2xml and for a simple table, it
seems to run forever, on my NT box the processor hits 90% utilization!  So I
am trying to build torque, and running into problems..

I checked out the jakarta-turbine-torque library, and got all the src code
down.  In the readme file it mentions a build.properties.sample that I
should rename build.properties, but that doesn't seem to exist.  There also
is no build/ directory.  The build.xml and default.properties files are at
the root.

So I am creating my own, but where is the easiest place to get some of the
harder to find libs like commons-colletions.jar and
commons-util-0.1-dev.jar?  Should they have come when I downloaded the
source code?  I found the commons-util-0.1 in the path [Apache] /
jakarta-turbine-torque / lib / Attic .  The note from jvanzyl is that there
shouldn't be jars in CVs: "- no jars in cvs, even if it is a PITA right now.
we have to move in the right ... "   Why is that?  It seem to make building
the source harder for new bies?

At any rate, i guess I will keep poking around trying to find the various
jars...

Thank you for putting up with all the newbie questions...

Eric

Re: Build Torque fails...

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
On 9/26/01 10:52 AM, "Pugh, Eric" <EP...@MuseumCompany.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to run the torque ant task sql2xml and for a simple table, it
> seems to run forever, on my NT box the processor hits 90% utilization!  So I
> am trying to build torque, and running into problems..

Building torque and running the sql2xml task are two separate things.

Building torque is cumbersome at best. When torque is released the build
will be less odious.

As for the sql2xml task, it doesn't work in most cases because the parser
isn't very robust, doesn't catch much and generally fails with most SQL.
It's on the list of things to improve but it's not top priority at the
moment, at least not mine anyway. It would be nice to use a JavaCC generated
parser but that probably won't come for a while.

> I checked out the jakarta-turbine-torque library, and got all the src code
> down.  In the readme file it mentions a build.properties.sample that I
> should rename build.properties, but that doesn't seem to exist.  There also
> is no build/ directory.  The build.xml and default.properties files are at
> the root.
>
> So I am creating my own, but where is the easiest place to get some of the
> harder to find libs like commons-colletions.jar and
> commons-util-0.1-dev.jar?  Should they have come when I downloaded the
> source code?

No you have to install them yourself. This procedure will eventually be
automated but is currently not. This is why we left the jars in the 2.x
turbine repository so things are relatively easy to build. If you're using
the unreleased versions of the recently decoupled tools than you have to
live with what's there.

All you need is the build.xml file and the default.properties, you also
don't need a build/ directory. Almost all the turbine projects are moving
away from the build/ directory and keeping the build files in the top level
directory where they are more visible. A build/ directory is also in
conflict with the way some other projects do their builds. Some projects use
the build/ directory as an intermediary directory from which distributions
are build, they do not contain the project build files. I like the build
files in the top level directory myself.

> I found the commons-util-0.1 in the path [Apache] /
> jakarta-turbine-torque / lib / Attic .  The note from jvanzyl is that there
> shouldn't be jars in CVs: "- no jars in cvs, even if it is a PITA right now.
> we have to move in the right ... "   Why is that?  It seem to make building
> the source harder for new bies?

The automated building system will come into play eventually which will take
care of the newbie problem. The released version of turbine keeps the jars
in cvs to make things easier. You work with the unreleased version than you
either help make the automated build system or deal with it.

> At any rate, i guess I will keep poking around trying to find the various
> jars...
>
> Thank you for putting up with all the newbie questions...
>
> Eric

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org