Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Tonny Kohar <to...@kiyut.com> on 2005/02/23 06:47:50 UTC

XMLSupport.defaultXMLSpace(String) questions

Hi,

I have a questions regarding the return value from
org.apache.batik.dom.util.XMLSupport.defaultXMLSpace(String).
Does the return value should be without trim ?

Thanks
Tonny Kohar

Re: XMLSupport.defaultXMLSpace(String) questions

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Tonny Kohar wrote:

> Since Batik is also SVG processor, does the white-space processing
> returned by that method is valid?

   What method?  defaultXMLSpace? yes I believe so for the very simple
case of a single text node child (it wouldn't be right for tspans).

> eg:
> <text someAttr=".."> text with white-space before and after </text>
> that method trim() will remove the leading/trailing whitespace.

    Trim alone is not enough for the "default" case as you also need to
collapse multiple spaces and remove CR/NL.  Search the SVG specification
for xml:space for the actual text.

Re: XMLSupport.defaultXMLSpace(String) questions

Posted by Tonny Kohar <to...@kiyut.com>.
Hi,

--
Sketsa
SVG Graphics Editor

Re: XMLSupport.defaultXMLSpace(String) questions

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@aka.mcc.id.au>.
Sorry, I answered a completely different question.

Since the XML 1.0 rec says

  The value "default" signals that applications' default white-space
  processing modes are acceptable for this element;

I imagine that any behaviour wrt whitespace is valid.

Cameron

--
  e-mail : cam (at) mcc.id.au    	icq : 26955922
     web : http://mcc.id.au/	        msn : cam-msn (at) aka.mcc.id.au

Re: XMLSupport.defaultXMLSpace(String) questions

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@aka.mcc.id.au>.
Hi Tonny.

Tonny Kohar:
> I have a questions regarding the return value from
> org.apache.batik.dom.util.XMLSupport.defaultXMLSpace(String).
> Does the return value should be without trim ?

My reading would be that due to the Enumeration validity constraint[1],
the attribute value has to match the NMTOKEN production[2], which doesn't
allow spaces.  This of course is assuming you are working with a
validated document, and Batik doesn't do any DTD validation.

Cameron

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#enum
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#nmtok