Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by cmurali <ch...@sddc.army.mil> on 2007/10/22 16:59:46 UTC

Confugring rampart/Rahas for producing and processing SAML messages.

Hi,

I am trying to find a complete example to setup synapse/rampart/rahas for
mainly processing SAML messages. I am also looking for sample client code
for testing both the producer and processor of Security token messages. The
scenario is like this.

1. Client contacts the token issuer.
2. STS service gives back the secure token.
3. Client inserts this token into the SOAP security header.
4. Sends this message to the security message processor.
5. Client gets a response back.

Thanks,
Muralidaran Chakravarthy

Re: Confugring rampart/Rahas for producing and processing SAML messages.

Posted by cmurali <ch...@sddc.army.mil>.
Hi,

This is a show stopper for us to move our web services to QA.

We have configured synapse to perform usernametoken authentication and
forward SOAP request to jboss server. This setup works fine. We are
scheduled to release this within a month and suddenly we were mandated to
use the SAML based security provided by our single-sign-on group. Now this
is a show stopper for us to release. This means that

1. All external clients (simply clients) should first request SAML token
from this single-sign-on webservice.
2. Clients should insert this SAML token into their SOAP message security
header.
3. Clients send this SOAP message to our AXIS2 webservice hosted in Jboss
server mediated by synapse.
4. Synapse/rampart/rahas should be reconfigured to process this SAML token
(instead of usernametoken) to authenticate and allow the request to proceed.

The question is how do we reconfigure synapse/rampart/rahas to process this
SOAP message coming with the SAML token as the security credential.

As I could not find a concrete sample or documentation of how to set up for
SAML authentication, I am stuck and helpless. Could you provide me with the
sample or documentation ASAP please ?

Thanks,
Muralidaran Chakaravarthy

Re: Confugring rampart/Rahas for producing and processing SAML messages.

Posted by cmurali <ch...@sddc.army.mil>.
Hi,

The client is an external client talking to our Synapse. Currently the STS
function is provided by our external single sign on team which will issue
the SAML token. Though our synapse/rampart/rahas configuration should have
to only process the SAML token by authenticating the user and allowing them
to use our web services, I  also have to write my client java program that
will get the SAML token from our single sign on web service and then send
the SOAP message with this SAMl token to our web service which is mediated
by synapse.

Thanks,
Muralidaran Chakravarthy

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Hi Murali

Posted by cmurali <ch...@sddc.army.mil>.
Hi Ruchith and asankha,

Thanks for your reply. I am yet to get the details from our
single-sign-on/STS group. I guess I will get it in couple of days. I will
contact you with details in couple days.

Thanks again,

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Hi Muralidaran

Are you going to let your clients request the SAML tokens directly or
use Synapse to receive client requests with User-Id/Password over SSL
and then talk to the STS and get a token and pass the request off to
your end service?

We are all set to cut the 1.1 release branch between today and Sunday,
to get the first RC ready for testing on Monday. If you require any
updates for Synapse to get the above working through Synapse for your
clients, we could get that into a 1.1.1 release.. but for now I do not
consider this as an issue for the 1.1 release

Ruchith is currently traveling and will be in the US for a couple of
weeks and I am not sure if he will look at the Synapse mailing list
during this time. The Apache Rampart mailing list
(mailto:rampart-dev-subscribe@ws.apache.org) would be a better option
for you to ask any direct questions related to Apache Rampart during
this time, and I'm quite sure he will be reading that more frequently.

asankha

Re: Confugring rampart/Rahas for producing and processing SAML messages.

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Apologies about the delay in my response. Please see below :

On 11/2/07, cmurali <ch...@sddc.army.mil> wrote:

> Hi Ruchith,
>
> I have answers for some of your questions.
>
> 1. The token issuing service from which I am obtaining the SAML token is a
> standard security token
> service(STS). But I am yet to receive the STS policy from the other group.
>
> 2. Yes, I simply want to include the obtained token in the Security
> header? I do NOT want to encrypt and/or sign the message with a key
> associated with the SAML token.
>
> Here is the scenario given by our other/security group. In this scenarios
> "SAML Token Issuing Service" and "SAML Token Resolver Service" both are
> provided to us by the security group. We are providing the "web service".
> Our web service should do the steps 4, 5 and provide the web service
> function.
>
> 1. Web Service Customer requests SAML authentication token to (SAML Token
> Issuing Service) with User-Id/Password over SSL (w/ WS-Security) - I guess
> this is usernametoken with digest password.
>
> 2. SAML Token Issuing Service issues token or return error message.

You can do the above two steps using org.apache.rahas.STSClient and I
will be able to help you when we get hold of the STS policy.
Right now we do not support digest password in the policy
implementation. However IMHO when we use HTTPS we can use a plain text
password with UT and this is useful since most systems do not store
the actual password.

> 3. Web Service Consumer calls web Service passing all necessary parameters
> and SAML token in the request using WS-Security.

There are a couple of ways to include the obtained SAML token in the
Security header.

- By creating a wsse:Security header element and adding the token
element into the header. Rampart processing down the line will re-use
this header.

- In the case where the SAML token is expressed in the service policy
as a supporting token: Using the
RampartMessageData.KEY_CUSTOM_ISSUED_TOKEN key to set the token id in
the options object. (Example : [1])

> 4. Application framework of the "web service" requests token validation to
> the "SAML Token Resolver Service" using WS-Security SAML configuration.
>
> 5. "SAML Token Resolver Service" returns message verifying token or error
> message if token is not valid.

Right now rampart/rahas does not provide ways to do #4 and #5 ... but
I'd like see whether it is possible to update STSClient to provide
those operations to support your case.

Thanks,
Ruchith

1. http://wso2.org/repos/wso2/trunk/wsas/java/modules/samples/sts-sample/src/org/wso2/wsas/sample/sts/client/Client.java

http://blog.ruchith.org
http://wso2.org

Re: Confugring rampart/Rahas for producing and processing SAML messages.

Posted by cmurali <ch...@sddc.army.mil>.
Hi Ruchith,

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

www.ruchith.org
www.wso2.org

Re: Confugring rampart/Rahas for producing and processing SAML messages.

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.
Hi Murali

Have you been able to progress on this matter? I looked into the STS
sample that ships with WSAS and was looking at the corresponding client
code.. probably its easiest to implement the client side logic in a
custom mediator for your case, and let Rampart handle the rest.. i.e.
your custom mediator would then talk to the STS get the token and then
place at the right place, before your actual call to the service is invoked.

Let us know more details on the STS and other questions Ruchith asked
and if you have got some sample code working with your STS

asankha

Posted by cmurali <ch...@sddc.army.mil>.
Hi,

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.