Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Wouter Samaey <wo...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/29 10:27:49 UTC

Performance and number of search results

Hello,

Can someone please comment on the performance impact of the number of
search results?
Is there a big difference between querying for 1 result, 10, 20 or even 100 ?

Thanks in advance

Wouter Samaey

Re: Performance and number of search results

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@netflix.com>.
Some part of the server-side work is linear in the number of hits.
It has to look up field values for each one of those hits, and that
is linear.

At some level, you've got one lookup for each term in the query and
one lookup for each hit. If you have a handful of terms and
a 1000 hits, the time is probably dominated by the number of hits.

I agree with the advice "get what you need".

wunder

Posted by Michael Ludwig <ml...@as-guides.com>.