Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org> on 2018/02/08 05:25:13 UTC

[AMEND OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS] Bylaws revision: HTTP API change notifications

Hello PMC Members and developers,

Subsequent to the confusion recently over the proposed change to an
as-of-yet-unreleased API change, and follow-on concerns that existing
HTTP API endpoints not be deprecated without sufficient warning, I am
proposing a change to the CouchDB Bylaws.

https://github.com/apache/couchdb-www/pull/27

This change proposes a mandatory developer mailing list notification and
at least a Lazy Consensus decision whenever a backwards-incompatible
change is made to a release branch, or to master. It encourages the same
for any non-breaking change, but stops short of requiring it.

It also takes the step that changes to master constitute a technical
decision of the project, since our intention is that master is always
releasable, and quite often new minor releases of CouchDB are forked
from master, not the previous major or minor release branch.

As this is a "Create or amend any document marked as official"
decision, it is being announced to the main development list. A lazy
2/3rds majority is required to pass the change, meaning to pass it must
garner three or more binding +1 votes, and twice as many binding +1
votes as binding -1 votes. Only PMC Members may cast binding votes. No
vetoes are allowed.

CouchDB PMC, please vote now.

-Joan

Re: [AMEND OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS] Bylaws revision: HTTP API change notifications

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ma...@jan.io>.
+1

Cheers
Jan
—

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@skunkwerks.at>.
On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, at 17:39, Joan Touzet wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have incorporated minor feedback from Robert Newson and Paul
> Davis.
>
> https://github.com/apache/couchdb-www/pull/27
>
> The changes reflect that we do not promise backwards compatibility
> for bugs in the published HTTP API, nor do we promise any sort
> of compatibility for undocumented behaviour (such as the change
> to database sequence values between 1.x and 2.x.)
>
> It also clarifies that the compatibility promise is only for
> _released_ versions of CouchDB.
>
> The vote passes, but because of the minor clarifications to the
> PR, I'll leave the PR for another 24 hours before merging.
>
> -Joan
> This is my own +1 vote.
>
> With Alex and Jan's votes, this may now pass (in ~60 hours); other PMC
> members should speak up now if they have concerns. I would like to
> pass this key change with unanimous consent.
>
> -Joan

Sorry I managed to be on holiday for this; a belated +1 for moral support.
Thanks Joan.

A+
Dave

Re: [AMEND OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS] Bylaws revision: HTTP API change notifications

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Echoing my PR +1 here.

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
+1