Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Grant Langlois <gr...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/13 03:10:50 UTC

Start Contributing

Hello all,

First and foremost, my apologies if this message breaks protocol, this is
my first time hitting a dev mailing list.

I'm interested in contributing to this project and have a specific feature
in mind to tackle first. I read through the developer's guide which
recommended first submitting a Jira (which I did here
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-4175>.)

My question is what happens next? Should I wait for someone to comment on
it as to whether or not it's a feasible addition? I'm more than willing to
write the code, assuming it's an acceptable addition.

Thanks for your patience in helping out a newbie.

Grant

Re: Start Contributing

Posted by Matt Burgess <ma...@apache.org>.
Wes,

Very well said :)

Grant,

Welcome!  Thank you for your interest in NiFi, and especially for your
interest in contributing :)  To go along with Wes's last point about
getting the ball rolling; even if someone wasn't a developer or wasn't
sure how to implement something, they can still approach with a
use-case-level solution; a good idea is a good idea even without the
code to implement it :)

For your Jira (thank you for submitting!), IMO that looks legit and
helpful, and a code contribution would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Matt

Re: Start Contributing

Posted by James Wing <jv...@gmail.com>.
Grant,

Welcome to NiFi, and thanks for being willing to contribute!

Wes is right, you can go ahead and submit a pull request (or patch) with
your proposed changes.  You don't need to wait for the JIRA to be
reviewed.

Thanks,

James

Re: Start Contributing