Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by SAtalk Mail User <sa...@elmo.thebuc.com> on 2004/02/17 16:04:19 UTC

SpamAssassin and MailScanner

Hello all,

I have a simple but complex question and setup here at
might site.  I have, for awhile now, had SpamAssassin
installed via sendmail as a milter. I then was tasked
to implement a VirusScanner, after long and tedious
process of trying amavis as a milter, I decided to go
with MailScanner, (easy to install and does a great
job).  The only problem that I have had with it is the
integration of SpamAssassin, it seems to timeout on the
Spam Checks - so I decided to turn off SpamChecks via
MailScanner and continue to use the SpamAssassin Milter
via sendmail and have MailScanner process as well.

The process works okay - but I started to notice that
my system is starting to get bogged down by SpamAssassin
starting multiple processes and then goes into a forever
loop never processing the mail and keeping all the mail
in the incoming mqueue.in directory. Since that has started
to happen, I have stopped all mail coming into the incoming
mqueue directory, (mqueue.in), and went back to the normal
setup of sendmail and SpamAssassin.

Here is a basic diagram of how my setup is:

I receive email via sendmail then it gets placed into
/var/spool/mqueue.in, when email comes in it goes through
SpamAssassin 2.60 via the sendmail-milter. Once in that
directory MailScanner then processes the Mail and checks
for viruses, once that is done, I believe what happens is
that sendmail processes it again and sends it to the mqueue
directory and SpamAssassin processes it again and sends it out.

I know that seems like a process that is somewhat out of the
norm, but when I try to have MailScanner process use SpamAssassin
it does not scan the email for Spam, I may have missed a step but
I have gone through the setup a couple of times and still get the
same result.  What I would like is to use MailScanner to scan for
viruses and use SpamAssassin to scan for Spam.  I am new to
MailScanner process, but I have been using SpamAssassin for a
few months now and would not replace that tool for anything that is
out there for Scanning Spam.

Any assistance or guidance would be helpful.

Thanks

Spam/Mail Administrator(Bryan)

Here is the sendmail startup script that I use to use while using
MailScanner.

  /usr/sbin/sendmail -C /etc/mail/sendmail.cf -bd -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn \
                     -ODeliveryMode=queueonly \
                     -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in &
  /usr/sbin/sendmail -q15m &
  /usr/sbin/sendmail -Ac -q15m &