Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2000/02/16 12:29:02 UTC

Moving old tarballs

There's a /dist/old/ directory for old source tarballs,
but the individual binary trees don't seem to have them.
Should an old Linux 1.3.1 binary tarball be moved into
a new /dist/binaries/linux/old/ directory, or into the
/dist/old/ one that already exists?  The former would
require creating old/ subdirectories in all the existing
binary locations.

I'm +1 for moving all old binary tarballs to /dist/old/.
--
#ken    P-)}

Conference!  <http://ApacheCon.Com/>

Re: Moving old tarballs

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Mch.SNI.De>.
On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 06:29:02AM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> I'm +1 for moving all old binary tarballs to /dist/old/.

+1.
    Martin
--
  <Ma...@MchP.Siemens.De>      |       Fujitsu Siemens
       <ma...@apache.org>              |   81730  Munich,  Germany

Re: Moving old tarballs

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.
On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> There's a /dist/old/ directory for old source tarballs,
> but the individual binary trees don't seem to have them.
> Should an old Linux 1.3.1 binary tarball be moved into
> a new /dist/binaries/linux/old/ directory, or into the
> /dist/old/ one that already exists?  The former would
> require creating old/ subdirectories in all the existing
> binary locations.

Either way.  I think I would find it cleaner to have the whole tree
replicated under old instead of a bunch of old subdirectories everywhere,
but whatever is fine.

> I'm +1 for moving all old binary tarballs to /dist/old/.

Go for it.

I guess the only argument would be that we should leave the immediately
previous version in place for stuff like the freebsd ports tree and other
similar things, to avoid having them break immediately and let them have
time to upgrade.  While I think we do want to discourage really old ports
from working, having a reasonable switchover window doesn't seem
unreasonable.