Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by John Siracusa <si...@mindspring.com> on 2004/05/25 19:28:52 UTC

mod_perl 2 and DBI connection pooling

What is the status of DBI connection pooling (a la Apache::DBI) in mod_perl
2?  The 2.0 guide says, "a replacement for Apache::DBI based on the tipool
will allow to reuse database connections between multiple threads of the
same process."

"will allow"?  Does that mean it's not done yet?  How are people using DBI
and mod_perl 2 in production environments?

-John

Re: mod_perl 2 and DBI connection pooling

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
John Siracusa wrote:
> What is the status of DBI connection pooling (a la Apache::DBI) in mod_perl
> 2?  The 2.0 guide says, "a replacement for Apache::DBI based on the tipool
> will allow to reuse database connections between multiple threads of the
> same process."
>
> "will allow"?  Does that mean it's not done yet?  How are people using DBI
> and mod_perl 2 in production environments?

For now Apache::DBI should work. But it won't take the benefit of threads.
It'll work similar to the prefork mpm.

I wrote the prototype of DBI::Pool about 1.5 years ago, but since then I
didn't have time working on it. Now I have the first priority to finish
polishing the mod_perl 2.0 API and release 2.0 as soon as possible. Since we
don't get much help from the mod_perl community, it may take a bit longer than
it could have taken.

Once 2.0 is released, and the main post-release problems get resolved (as
people will start moving en-masse to 2.0 and discovering bugs that they should
have been doing now (hint! hint!)), I'll hopefully get back to work on that
module. But that won't happen for at least next few months.

Of course feel free to pick up where I've left and to finish it off. Though I
won't be quite available to assist at this time. I really want to finish the
majority of the API polish before I need to deliver my OSCon tutorial and the
deadline is on June 14th.