Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Kashyap Mhaisekar <ka...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/21 17:54:59 UTC

Leader: -1 on Kafka

Hi,
At times, some of kafka topics end up showing the leader as -1. After this,
the messages dont get added to the topic nor consumed. I tried digging into
why the leader turns -1 *(leader: -1)*

Is there a reason why this happens and how it can be resolved?

Regards,
kashyap

Re: Leader: -1 on Kafka

Posted by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com>.
No it is not common/expected. It will be difficult to give you any
useful advise without your logs - please send over your state change
logs and broker logs.

Re: Leader: -1 on Kafka

Posted by Kashyap Mhaisekar <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Leader: -1 on Kafka

Posted by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Leader: -1 on Kafka

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
If you only have 1 replica, when the broker the replica is down, the
partition will have no leader. A broker can be down due to soft failures.
See
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/FAQ#FAQ-Whypartitionleadersmigratethemselvessometimes
?

Thanks,