Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/03 03:22:53 UTC

Prototype vs. JQuery vs. Dojo 0.9 vs. ???

I've been having some fun wrapping my brain around JQuery.

I'm not fully certain its a great fit however.

For hand-tooled web pages, maybe traditional JSPs, it would be perfectly
good.

But it's really built around identifying elements that need "special
attention" in terms of CSS class and page structure, and then applying
uniform effects and logic (in the form of even handlers) to them.

Tapestry is more geared towards the server side "seeding" the client side
with specific element ids, and then hooking up the appropriate event handler
that way.

In fact, that is more Protoype's angle, the whole point of $("myid") being
so easy.  JQuery lets you use Document.getElementById() ... it's one area
where the $() function has no great magic.

Can Tapestry shift?  Should it?  Would the newly revised Dojo be a better
fit?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Partner and Senior Architect at Feature50

Re: Prototype vs. JQuery vs. Dojo 0.9 vs. ???

Posted by liigo <co...@gmail.com>.
2007/10/3, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>:

> In fact, that is more Protoype's angle, the whole point of $("myid") being
> so easy.  JQuery lets you use Document.getElementById() ... it's one area
> where the $() function has no great magic.

$("#id") or $("#id")[0]  is the same as Document.getElementById(), in jQuery.

2007/10/3, Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>:

> I think forcing anyone to pick one library is a mistake.

+1

RE: Prototype vs. JQuery vs. Dojo 0.9 vs. ???

Posted by Joost Schouten <jo...@jsportal.com>.
I should have replied on the first post as I was replying to give your
answer more weight not oppose it ;-)

Cheers,
Joost

Posted by jblier <ja...@airwidesolutions.com>.
The ExtJS library (1.1.1) have examples where the user select between a
choice of existing JS libraries in a popup.

See: http://extjs.com/deploy/ext/examples/dialog/hello.html

He is supporting:
- Ext Stand-alone
- Yahoo UI Utiliites
- jQuery
- Prototype+Scriptaculous

Version 2.0 doesn't support Library switching.

In general I find ExtJS way too slow for any production environment.

- Jacques

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ben Sommerville <be...@bulletproof.com.au>.
No, I wasn't going that far.

Posted by Davor Hrg <hr...@gmail.com>.
Making an abstraction layer can have another advantage:
set of unit tests for a specific implementation, so that new libraries
can be more rebust from the first impl.

some general approaches to building web pages should be listed and
considered.

pure html
separate pages with some js
"single" page that loads all with AJAX (not all content from the start, just
as needed)
...other ....

Davor Hrg

Posted by Kristian Marinkovic <kr...@porsche.co.at>.
just my 2 cent:

<IMHO>

i'd vote for a solution that creates a javascript abstraction layer.
not a single tapestry component should generate the javascript
code itself but delegate it to this layer. The only information this
layer would need is the generated id of the component and some
meta information.

this unique approach would give Tapestry 5 a competitive advantage
over other web frameworks as it could support multiple javascript
libraries.
because the importance of client side scripting rises (or is already high)
and the complexity and size of generated pages rises too the choice for
the *right* javascript library may be crucial for a responsive ui. from my

experience using dojo 0.4.2 for big uis can degrade the user experience
and responisvenss due to long loading times (compared to other libraries),

and awkward implementations within the library (not to mention the usage
of
the dojo api compared to jquery's api)

i also think such an abstraction layer would allow optimizations of the
client side javascript code. for example you could apply event delegation
for certain parts of the generated page (actionlinks within a loop, or
table).
furthermore i hope several 3rd party components will emerge using this
abstraction layer to deliver rich javascript components :)

Tapestry (Howard) emphasizes separation of concerns therefore a javascript

abstraction layer - from my point of view - is the way go .. :)

but i don't know what default library to choose. i'd probably go for
prototype...
it offers the necessary api for event handling, ajax, using css selectors
for
retrieving dom nodes... and is small....
.. although i haven't looked at dojo 0.9 recently.
... and jquerys plugin mechanism has more appeal than dojos require

</IMHO>

g,
kris

Julien HENRY <he...@yahoo.fr>
03.10.2007 14:02
Bitte antworten an
"Tapestry development" <de...@tapestry.apache.org>

An
Tapestry development <de...@tapestry.apache.org>
Kopie

Thema

--- Ben Sommerville <be...@bulletproof.com.au> a écrit :

> I've been mulling on this topic for a while since
> I'm working
> (intermittently)
> on a project that uses JQuery & Tap5.
>
> I would love it if Tapestry core was not coupled to
> any particular
> javascript
> library & could also be used without any javascript
> at all.
>
> Obviously to do this we'd need to introduce an
> abstraction/indirection
> layer
> for the parts of tapestry that may use javascript.
> The two approaches I
> see
> are:
> a) Define a java api for invoking/using/generating
> javascript that
> Tapestry
>    core uses, then create modules for each
> javascript library
>   (as Joost suggested)
> b) Define an javascript api that Tapestry invokes
> then create
> implementations
>   of that for various javascript libraries
>    (as Andreas suggested)
>
> My preference is the first approach for a couple of
> reasons:
> - it forces a strict separation.   Tapestry core
> never directly constructs
> javascript so there is no chance it will use
> functions/etc from a
> particular
> library
> - it means that there can be a lot more freedom on
> how the javascript is
> written.  e.g. field validations could be
> accumulated & written out as a
> JSON data type, added directly to elements via
> css/custom attributes or
> accumulated via function calls (as is done
> presently).
> - tapestry core makes no assumptions about the
> client side environment.  I
>
> can see this being a benefit when dealing with other
> platforms such as
> mobile phones.
>
> On the downside it may be harder to construct a good
> java api that covers
> all the possibilities. However that is no reason not
> to try! :)
>

> cheers
> Ben

=== message truncated ===

RE : RE: Prototype vs. JQuery vs. Dojo 0.9 vs. ???

Posted by Julien HENRY <he...@yahoo.fr>.
@Ben: Do you think about something like GWT? I mean
programming JavaScript in Java.

Components (especially AJAX ones) will certainly use
various existing JavaScript libraries. I think the
main issue is "what about T5 core components?". Should
they use a specific library (without preventing
additional components for using their own)?

Don't know what could be the best solution... sorry.

--- Ben Sommerville <be...@bulletproof.com.au> a écrit :

> I've been mulling on this topic for a while since
> I'm working
> (intermittently)
> on a project that uses JQuery & Tap5.
>
> I would love it if Tapestry core was not coupled to
> any particular
> javascript
> library & could also be used without any javascript
> at all.
>
> Obviously to do this we'd need to introduce an
> abstraction/indirection
> layer
> for the parts of tapestry that may use javascript.
> The two approaches I
> see
> are:
> a) Define a java api for invoking/using/generating
> javascript that
> Tapestry
>    core uses, then create modules for each
> javascript library
>   (as Joost suggested)
> b) Define an javascript api that Tapestry invokes
> then create
> implementations
>   of that for various javascript libraries
>    (as Andreas suggested)
>
> My preference is the first approach for a couple of
> reasons:
> - it forces a strict separation.   Tapestry core
> never directly constructs
> javascript so there is no chance it will use
> functions/etc from a
> particular
> library
> - it means that there can be a lot more freedom on
> how the javascript is
> written.  e.g. field validations could be
> accumulated & written out as a
> JSON data type, added directly to elements via
> css/custom attributes or
> accumulated via function calls (as is done
> presently).
> - tapestry core makes no assumptions about the
> client side environment.  I
>
> can see this being a benefit when dealing with other
> platforms such as
> mobile phones.
>
> On the downside it may be harder to construct a good
> java api that covers
> all the possibilities. However that is no reason not
> to try! :)
>

> cheers
> Ben

=== message truncated ===

RE: Prototype vs. JQuery vs. Dojo 0.9 vs. ???

Posted by Ben Sommerville <be...@bulletproof.com.au>.

Posted by andyhot <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Posted by liigo <co...@gmail.com>.
2007/10/3, andyhot <an...@di.uoa.gr>:

> If anyone's been looking at my recent 4.1 commits, i've set to abstract
> all dojo calls through
> the tapestry object - and i've been able to do this by introducing just
> 6-7 more functions in it.

gook work. and we can doing this in T5 and wraps jquery as default?

Re: Prototype vs. JQuery vs. Dojo 0.9 vs. ???

Posted by andyhot <an...@di.uoa.gr>.

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@alum.mit.edu>.
I don't have much to sway the conversation, but I wanted to maybe widen
your horizons and mention Facebook Javascript (FBJS) as well.  A
facebook application can use javascript, but it is sandboxed through
rewriting, etc, so as to prevent full access to the browser from 3rd
party applications.  That means that not all javascript functionality is
allowed, and you have to use their special objects for Ajax operations, etc.

http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/FBJS

At the moment I can't use any of the T5 forms, etc, because it uses
prototype and higher end javascript not supported by FBJS.  I really
liked the idea that someone mentioned earlier of being able to cajole T5
into using much simpler javascript - that could work under FBJS.

just my 2 cents.

fernando

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > As this is some kind of minimal standard that should work with every library.
> > E.g. on a form submit the tapestry.js can simply submit an event that
> > gives the id of the form that should be submitted and every javascript
> > library that's interested in validating and sending the form can
> > listen to that event.
> >
> > Markus
> >

> > On 10/3/07, jblier <ja...@airwidesolutions.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I still prefer Prototype although JQuery is improving at a quick pace.
> >>
> >> I don't like Dojo because it needs a lot of special tags.
> >>
> >> In any event, the developer should be able to use any JS library or
> >> framework he would like.
> >>
> >> Is is possible to have Tapestry.js modified to be a wrapper that would be
> >> compatible with a small list of JS libraries? So if a developer chooses a
> >> library from the list, Tapestry won't need to be rewritten.

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer

Re: Prototype vs. JQuery vs. Dojo 0.9 vs. ???

Posted by andyhot <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
That's the general idea -

Posted by Markus Joschko <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.