Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steve Wong <st...@macroview.com> on 2002/03/01 08:17:16 UTC

Jetty .vs. tomcat

	How will you compare jetty with tomcat?
	Which one will you choose for a production environment? Why?
	Any Performance figures about these 2 servlet containers?

Thx. and Regards.
Steve.

RE: Jetty .vs. tomcat

Posted by Ming Fai <mi...@hongkong.com>.
hi Steve,

I'm a Tomcat user. from what I read on the web, I believe Jetty does
outperform Tomcat significantly in static pages and also outperform Tomcat
to a unknown degree in dynamic pages. so, why i still choose Tomcat?

My main consideration is in scalability. Multiple instance of Tomcat can be
run and load balanced with Apache and mod_jk. I believe it can achieve a
very high scalability in handling simultanceous requests. Other
considerations are: good integration with other Apache and commercial
products, better support (i personally think the 'support' from Apache group
is better than other open src groups), full implementation of JCP
specification etc.

And Tomcat should not be used together with Apache if there is heavy loading
of static pages.

Other than Tomcat and Jetty, Resin is also quite famous. And there are other
commercial choice like WebLogic, JRun and Orion.  You should make decision
base on your need.

In my opinion, if your site is small in scale, and requires a very good
response time, then Jetty or Resin are your choice. Otherwise, Tomcat is a
good choice in general and it is a proven product. It occupies about 50% of
the servlet engine market as of mid 2001.
(http://www.devx.com/judgingjava/articles/sixyears/printable/sixyearsp2.asp#
fig7)

Any comment are welcome!

Regards,