Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Tyson Norris <tn...@adobe.com> on 2015/06/09 17:46:01 UTC

ConsumerFetcherManager MaxLag

Hi -
I am using kafka 0.8.2.1
I was hoping to monitor overall lag (for all partitions) for a high level consumer via JMX, but ConsumerFetcherManager MaxLag always returns value 0, despite the fact that I can see consumer offsets updating in zk (consumer is connected properly), and kafka.tools.ConsumerOffsetChecker is reporting accurate lag information. I have tried reading the value via jconsole, as well as using java jmx api (via MBeanServer).

I’m sure I can get this information directly from ZK, but was hoping to just read the MBean attribute and be done.

Do others see non-zero values for MaxLag reported to JMX?

I noticed this conversation http://grokbase.com/t/kafka/users/14cb99wavh/jmx-mbean-of-gauge-long-is-a-java-lang-object about this mbean using Gauge to report the attribute value, and needing to cast to Long, but I don’t think this is the problem I’m seeing.

Thanks
Tyson