Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by ying lcs <yi...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/15 18:18:04 UTC

newbie: How to start a JSF project

Hi,

I am new to JSF, I would like to know what is the good way to start a
JSF project running on tomcat.
I am planning to Hibernate for database communication.

What other things/framework do I need? Spring? Shale? Seam?

Thank you.

Re: newbie: How to start a JSF project

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.
Spring is optional in the mix, but needs to be used if you want to use
Orchestra (http://myfaces.apache.org/orchestra) which offer
conversation scopes and other utilities to use JPA and JSF more
conveniently. You can use Spring also to register your JSF backing
beans as well, so you could register the beans there instead that
doing so in the faces-config.xml file, which you can then integrate
better with the other spring-controlled bits of your app. If you do
not want to use Spring, you can still go with your app and handle the
JPA in any other way, so you can have MyFaces+Trinidad+JPA+Maven...

Cheers,

Bruno

Posted by ying lcs <yi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.
Haha, of course, I was missing Facelets (I take it for granted) :)

Cheers,

Bruno

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Facelets ;-)

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.
And check:

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.
Seam recommends the RI. There also were reports that I thought I had
read about problems with 1.2.0 with facelets. I am not opposed to
trying myfaces, but I *just* upgraded seam from 1.2.1 to 2.0.0 and was
trying to make it as simple as possible. They broke a lot of
compatibility between the version, so using what they recommended made
it one less problem to worry about.

Not to start a debate, but with the renaming of Sun's library without
the RI in the name, what is the advantage of using MyFaces instead of
the RI/Mojarra? Has it been benchmarked as being faster or use less
memory?

-Andrew

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.