Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1995/12/11 02:40:46 UTC

Caching, XBitHack and Java classes

I am noticing some strange behavior with Java classes not getting
reloaded unless the Owner X-bit is set. This is with NS 2.0b3 and
Apache 1.0.  Is there a known reason for this? Group X-bit was *not*
set.

Re: Caching, XBitHack and Java classes

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Sun, 10 Dec 1995, Randy Terbush wrote:

> I am noticing some strange behavior with Java classes not getting
> reloaded unless the Owner X-bit is set. This is with NS 2.0b3 and
> Apache 1.0.  Is there a known reason for this? Group X-bit was *not*
> set.

Netscape 2.0 betas have some noticible problems in not noticing that pages
have been updated since its cache was made. I end up having to use
option(for the Mac, it's alt on PC and X)-reload (a hidden feature that
reloads without sending an If-Modified-Since) to get to see some pages
enough times to make it annoying.

The reason that +x-ing works is that it turns it into a server-side
includes document, which don't (unless the group bit is set) send
Last-Modified headers, therefore Netscape does not cache them. Therefore
they always load. But it's dangerous, because if you end up having the
character sequence "<!--#" in your document somewhere...

A safer approach to disabling caching in Apache is to use MultiViews,
which also supresses the Last-Modified. Call foo instead of foo.class.
This is what I do in these cases, and it seems to work, though it'd
certainly be easier if Netscape just fixed the darn caches in their
browser.

--/ Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> /--------/ Lefler on IRC