Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jonathan Rochkind <ro...@jhu.edu> on 2013/05/13 22:33:24 UTC

writing a custom Filter plugin?

Does anyone know of any tutorials, basic examples, and/or documentation
on writing your own Filter plugin for Solr? For Solr 4.x/4.3?

I would like a Solr 4.3 version of the normalization filters found here
for Solr 1.4: https://github.com/billdueber/lib.umich.edu-solr-stuff

But those are old, for Solr 1.4.

Does anyone have any hints for writing a simple substitution Filter for
Solr 4.x?  Or, does a simple sourcecode example exist anywhere?

Re: writing a custom Filter plugin?

Posted by Amit Nithian <an...@gmail.com>.
At first I thought you were referring to Filters in Lucene at query time
(i.e. bitset filters) but I think you are referring to token filters at
indexing/text analysis time?

I have had success writing my own Filter as the link presents. The key is
that you should write a custom class that extends TokenFilter (
http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_1_0/core/org/apache/lucene/analysis/TokenFilter.html)
and write the implementation in your incrementToken() method.

My recollection of this is that instead of returning something of a Token
like you would have in earlier versions of Lucene, you set attribute values
on a notional "current" token. One obvious attribute is the term text
itself and perhaps any positional information. The best place to start is
to pick a fairly simple example from the Solr Source (maybe
lowercasefilter) and try and mimic that.

Cheers!
Amit