Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Deepak Agarwal <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/07 08:21:33 UTC

Learning Management System

I want to build a learning management system on top of ofbiz. It envolves
setting up courses, classes, reports, slides, automations etc...

Has anyone build something like that.

Knowning the data model of ofbiz I have few thoughts :

1) Consider courses as products
2) Student buy course which triggers : An order creation, Subscription and
workeffort for the classes
3) Study material can also be added as product to which students can
subscribe.

How do I setup the classes. Each course will have set of classes to be
taken and there should be an automation. How do I attach the classes to
courses. What should be the logical entity in the current ofbiz setup for
this. Can classes be considered as tasks ?

Deepak Agarwal,

Mobile: +91 9501190044

Re: Learning Management System

Posted by Rishi Solanki <ri...@gmail.com>.
Hi Deepak,

All the setup you describe looks good to me and should be doable as per
your needs. Some quick notes on it;

- Yes you can consider the classes as tasks, as you are considering courses
as product. So for delivering a product say course you may need to conduct
several classes. For the same you can use WorkEffortGoodStandard or similar
setup and multiple classes will be child of the work effort link to product.
- Courses could be consider as service products, it is just a thought. Some
other in community could give better thought on this.

I would say what you are thinking is in line with OFBiz practices, should
go in that direction or if required then customized data model design
should follow the product data model.

Rishi Solanki
Manager, Enterprise Software Development
HotWax Media Pvt. Ltd.
Direct: +91-9893287847
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com

Posted by Sumit Pandit <su...@tcs.com>.
Hi Deepak,
It could be achieved in several ways, consider following model where -

Course = PRODUCT (productTypeId=MARKETING_PKG or MARKETING_PKG_PICK); for example (productIds = GZ-BASKET/GZ-BASKET-PICK) Where BASKET is packaged product.

Classes(represented by Product) will associate with course (productAssocTypeId="PRODUCT_COMPONENT") : Since a class could associate with multiple courses.

Student buy a Package which come with set of classes as associated.

With extension of requirement, Course/Classes can further associate with WorkEffort (with any of suitable type: Training/Program/Event etc.. ), where it would present in Course/Class calender , and student could registered to attend the class at given calender schedule.

--
Thanks And Regards
Sumit Pandit

I want to build a learning management system on top of ofbiz. It envolves
setting up courses, classes, reports, slides, automations etc...

Has anyone build something like that.

Knowning the data model of ofbiz I have few thoughts :

1) Consider courses as products
2) Student buy course which triggers : An order creation, Subscription and
workeffort for the classes
3) Study material can also be added as product to which students can
subscribe.

How do I setup the classes. Each course will have set of classes to be
taken and there should be an automation. How do I attach the classes to
courses. What should be the logical entity in the current ofbiz setup for
this. Can classes be considered as tasks ?

Deepak Agarwal,

Mobile: +91 9501190044

and any attachments. Thank you