Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de> on 2016/11/08 09:17:22 UTC

Production usage (and documentation) of FileBlobStore?

The BlobStore is being mentioned as the new advanced way of using storing blobs in http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/plugins/blobstore.html <http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/plugins/blobstore.html>.
Unfortunately neither http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/osgi_config.html <http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/osgi_config.html> nor http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/plugins/blobstore.html#SegmentNodeStore <http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/plugins/blobstore.html#SegmentNodeStore> or http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/plugins/blobstore.html#DocumentNodeStore <http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/plugins/blobstore.html#DocumentNodeStore> list that as an option. Also it is not mentioned as being supported by the Blob Garbage Collection (http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/plugins/blobstore.html#Blob_Garbage_Collection <http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/plugins/blobstore.html#Blob_Garbage_Collection>).

So the question is: Is it safe to use the FileBlobStore instead of the FileDataStore in production? When I tried 2 years ago I ran into https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-1842 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-1842> which is now fixed. I am wondering whether that option is recommended to use for a production setup or whether that option is considered unstable (because it is also not mentioned in https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/deploy/platform/data-store-config.html <https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/deploy/platform/data-store-config.html>)?

Thanks for any advice.
Konrad

BTW it would be great if the documentation pages listed above could be a littlebit clearer in that regard.

Re: Production usage (and documentation) of FileBlobStore?

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.
I am wondering whether after 1,5 more years, there is any other input regarding using FileBlobStore over the FileDataStore wrapper?
I can see that in https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/6-5/sites/deploying/using/data-store-config.html#DataStoreConfigurations the new FileBlobStore is no longer being mentioned.
Does that mean that FileBlobStore is (still) not production ready or has that option rather been abandoned?

Thanks for any input
Konrad

Posted by Konrad Windszus <ko...@gmx.de>.