Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Sebastien Pennec <se...@qos.ch> on 2007/01/15 17:49:41 UTC

Topic and Queue performances

Hello,

I checked on the list archive, but couldn't find the answer to my current situation,
so here I am :)

I've launched an ActiveMQ server on my machine, with the default configuration stuff.
The only thing I've added is the jndi.properties file that I've found in the
documentation.

This jndi config file helps create an example Queue and an example Topic. I can
easily connect message producers and consumers to the Queue and Topic. The server, as
well as the two message producers and the two message consumers, are on my local machine.

When I send messages to the Topic, I observe that the time it takes to send the
message is about 0.25 milliseconds. When I send messages to the Queue, the figure
goes up to 10 milliseconds. These figures are the average time that is observed when
sending 10'000 messages.
They are modified by the presence or absence of a consumer: it takes approximately
10% less time when there is no consumer.

Is it a normal behavior? I expected the performance between Topic and Queue to be
closer than that.

Thanks for your help,

Sébastien

--
Sébastien Pennec
sebastien@qos.ch

http://logback.qos.ch/

Re: Topic and Queue performances

Posted by Sebastien Pennec <se...@qos.ch>.
Hello Rob,

Then that is certainly why I was observing such different results. Although my setup
(client code and environment) where very similar, the messages were handled in a
rather different manner on the server side.

I've tried to disable persistence by using the persistant="false" attribute in the
broker element. I now have Queue results that are very close to the Topic results, at
around 0.25 milliseconds.

James and Rob, thanks for your help :)

Cheers,

Sébastien

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 1/15/07, Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de> wrote:
> Rob Davies schrieb:
> > The big difference between topics and queues is that for queues, if
> > the messages have a persistent delivery mode, they are always added to
> > the message store. This is only true for topics if a durable
> > subscriber exists and is interested in that topic.
>
> Which is not good. If many messages are added to the topic without being
> taken off from the broker by consumers, the memory is soaked up quickly,

Sure - there's a few different solutions for this, plus you can
increase the RAM buffer with the <usageManager>..
.
http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/slow-consumer-handling.html

> OutOfMemoryErrors occur, and the whole application gets corrupted.

Well it hangs producers until consumers consume stuff to free up space.

> If
> the topic is too full, ActiveMQ should start to swap messages to
> external memory  (disk).

It does :) Though you'll need the latest 4.2-SNAPSHOT to get spooling
to disk for non-persistent messaging.

--

James
-------

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.
Rob Davies schrieb:
> that's our bad - we need to post a newer snapshot - at lot of work
> happened over the holidays - and is still ongoing.

I am looking forward for testing any new stuff. For now I helped myself
with a durable subscriber, but that is only a crutch. I am currently
evaluating several JMS providers for being integrated into a larger
project with a few hundred installations over the next years.

> But having said that, it would help us tremendously if folks in
> general could try post a junit test case of a problem - it will ensure
> we can fix a lot quicker.

Will try do so with any future problems.

Best regards
Rainer Klute

                           Rainer Klute IT-Consulting GmbH
  Dipl.-Inform.
  Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  klute@rainer-klute.de
  Körner Grund 24          Telefon: +49 172 2324824
D-44143 Dortmund           Telefax: +49 231 5349423

OpenPGP fingerprint: E4E4386515EE0BED5C162FBB5343461584B5A42E

Re: Topic and Queue performances

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
that's our bad - we need to post a newer snapshot - at lot of work
happened over the holidays - and is still ongoing.
But having said that, it would help us tremendously if folks in
general could try post a junit test case of a problem - it will
ensure we can fix a lot quicker.

best regards,

Rob Davies

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.