Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thierry Delaitre <de...@cpc.wmin.ac.uk> on 2002/03/21 23:12:13 UTC

Performance issues with mod_webapp

Hi,

I'm currently investigating solutions to deploy tomcat for a number of
students. One solution would consist of creating a context for each user
and adding a WebAppDeploy statement for each user in the apache config
file. I currently have approx. 75 WebAppDeploy statements on the same warp
connection. I'm using tomcat-4.03 & webapp-module-20020321.

The problem is that performance is poor when the number of WebAppDeploy
statements is 75 eventhough when I'm the only user browsing my webapp
directory. It takes nearly 30 seconds to enter in a directory when
clicking on it. Performance is ok when accessing the webapps through the
tomcat web server or when using only a few WebAppDeploy statements.

Is this due to the design of modwebapp ? What do you recommend to deploy
tomcat for many students ?

Cheers,

Thierry.