Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Serge A. Redchuk" <bi...@mail.ru> on 2001/12/11 16:23:30 UTC

Re[2]: WildcardQuery

Hello Otis,

Strongly can not agree with you, because I really _can_ search for
anything like '*new*'.

_Simply_Beacuse_I_have_working_code_that_do_it_

Here's a slice of output of my program:

Boolean wildcard search:
built query: bee*
news41:beem;
news42:beem;
news4:beem;

Boolean wildcard search:
built query: *ee
f3:qthree;

Boolean wildcard search:
built query: +be* +path:*ws42
news42:beem;

Boolean wildcard search:
built query: +path:*ws4 +be*
news4:beem;

As you can see the first search returned 3 entries, but the 3-rd -
only one. As well as the 4-th.
And the 2-nd search returned only entry "f3:qthree;"
(as we've expected: "built query: *ee").

And I've achieve it combining WildcardQueries in BooleanQuery, but
did not achieve it by simple call of QueryParser.parser.

--
Best regards,
 Serge                            mailto:bitl@mail.ru

Re: Re[2]: WildcardQuery

Posted by sa...@interactive1.com.
Hello lucene users,

Thanks for the interest regarding wild card searches.

The WildcardQuery interprets * for 1 or more characters. But i had to edit
it for zero or more characters such that *place* , gives results
containing 'marketplace' and 'placed', but also for 'place', as was the
project requirement. Its only that instead of building the WildcardQuery
explicitly, I wanted it to be done by QueryParser class for code
optimization. I had posted the query for the same purpose.

Any suggestions will be quite helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
Sampreet

Re[4]: WildcardQuery

Posted by "Serge A. Redchuk" <bi...@mail.ru>.
Hello Otis,

OG> Sorry, It looks like I was wrong.  I should have said that I haven't
Don't mention !
OG> used WildcardQuery, but normally (i.e. not in Lucene), a few
You should take in attantion that also unix command prompt understands
'*' before anything else. I think it must be common.
OG> characters, often 3, are required before the wild card character.
OG> Sorry, can't help you, maybe somebody else can.
Maybe !

--
Best regards,
 Serge                            mailto:bitl@mail.ru