Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Arthur Buijs <ar...@artietee.nl> on 2011/07/24 13:10:32 UTC

Bikeshedding (Was: Suggestion for OOo branding...)

Sometimes a discussion pops up that gets a lot of attention from a lot
of people and it often leads to heated discussions. When this happens we
(as a community) should be carefull not to run into the trap of
bikeshedding [0].

This thread about icons and branding already contains more messages from
more people than for example the move to SVN and some people are already
throwing in accusations without explanations.

Because threads like this choke the community we should try to identify
them early and see how we can work around them before they cause to much
damage to our community.

For example in this case someone who is smart about branding and icons
could do a proposal to add a page to the wiki and define (based on
research and evidence) a set of guidelines for icons. Instead of
discussing about a certain color on this list we discuss the reason to
use (or not to use) colors. And then we hope this different discussion
does not attract everybody with an opinion (because then the
bikeshedding continues) but only those people who add value to the
guidelines on the wiki with their knowledge and experience on the subject.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson's_Law_of_Triviality

--
Regards/groeten,
Arthur Buijs

Re: Bikeshedding (Was: Suggestion for OOo branding...)

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.
This is something new to me, "bikeshedding". I have participated in this
kind of discussio before, but never knew there was a term for the
phenomenon.
Thanks!