Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Julian Grunnell <jg...@firstnet.net.uk> on 2002/04/29 13:31:51 UTC

Heres one I've not seen before...any advice?

[Mon Apr 29 12:09:42 2002] [info] server seems busy, (you may need to
increase StartServers, or Min/MaxSpareServers), spawning 8 children, there
are 24 idle, and 37 total children

Platform - RedHat 7.2
Pentium II 450mhz
512mb memory

Apache:
config.status
#!/bin/sh
##
##  config.status -- APACI auto-generated configuration restore script
##
##  Use this shell script to re-run the APACI configure script for
##  restoring your configuration. Additional parameters can be supplied.
##

./configure \
"--with-layout=Apache" \
"--prefix=/usr/local/apache" \
"--enable-module=most" \
"--enable-shared=max" \
"$@"

MinSpareServers 25
MaxSpareServer 30
StartServers 25

I appear to be getting the error message once or twice a day, but what
confuses me is the fact that the server has about 5 web sites on and is not
a busy server, about 60,000 hits in one week.

And server-status shows that it has in the region of 20 idle processes all
the time. Start / Min + Max Spare servers appear to be set okay.

Could it be getting a burst of requests which is resulting in the need to
spawn new children? Does anyone have any ideas? I currently run several
Apache web servers but have never seen this before.

Thanks in advance - J.

- Julian Grunnell, 3rd Line Technical Support - Firstnet Services Limited
- tel: 0113 292 7736 : http://www.firstnet.net.uk
- [ This message subject to: http://www.firstnet.net.uk/disclaimer.html ]

Re: Heres one I've not seen before...any advice?

Posted by Andrew Hawkes <ah...@unicon.net>.
I think you have MinSpareServers and MaxSpareServers too close together.
Try something like 20 and 40. The reason you're getting the message is,
your server config requires a minimum of 25 spare children. But as the
message says, there are only "24 idle". Therefore it needs to spawn more.

When your MaxSpareServers and MinSpareServers are that close together, it
results in Apache always having to be killing off/firing up new processes.
Give it some room to breathe.

-Andy

Posted by Jason <jt...@cartmanager.net>.
This is an [info] message....

It is simply telling you that it is increasing the servers capacity to handle a traffic spike..... these are normal and can usually
be ignored.

I would probably turn of the [Info] messages off if I were you, most of them are unneeded unless you are having problems IMO.  I
know that if I used these messages then I would flood my log files with mostly garbage... and then my hard drives would fill up....
ick :P

Your mileage may vary... some people may actually want the INFO on.